Please sign in to post.

Transportation in Rome

Is anyone familiar with the ROMA pass? Is it a good deal? Also, the name of a good transportation company that would provide transfers from the airport to Roma and Roma night tour and possibly a tour on the way to the pier from the city. Thanks

Posted by
23569 posts

The pass is a good deal if you visit over three sites and the free local transit is worth it. The taxi from the airport to central Rome is fixed at 40E so the need for a reserved driver is limited. However, try Roma Cabs if you want a driver. "To the pier from the city" Not sure what you are asking? Are you taking a cruise out of Civit... That is good hour via taxi from Rome and in the range of 150E. The train serves the port very well at a cost of 8 to 12E depending on the train.

Posted by
97 posts

Our family of seven saved a LOT of money with the Roma Pass. At 30 Euros per pass, the same would be true for anyone who plans to see a few sites. It provides free entry to two museums or archaeological sites, and discounted entry thereafter. (Check which museums/sites are included, obviously.) We also used it for public transportation. Aside from the financial worth, it's a time saver in that it allows you immediate entry rather than waiting in line to buy tickets. We haven't flown into or out of Rome, so I can't help you re the transfers. I highly recommend Ostia Antica if you have a chance and are interested in that sort of thing. It's a quick & easy train ride from Rome.

Posted by
2207 posts

In January 2012, the Roma Pass jumped 20% in price to 30€. At that time it was probably not a good buy... But effective May 25, 2012 all public transportation options in Rome will increase a staggering 50%... so again, the Roma Pass could be a good bargain. But Frank's right... if you're NOT going to use the transportation segment, you'd be hard-pressed to break even unless you visit maybe 3-4 sites in three days... And remember, the Roma Pass is not good at the Vatican Museums. Its also NOT good for transportation to either airport, to Tivoli, to Villa Adriana , or for getting to Civitavecchia There are other options for avoiding the lines at the Colosseo so I would look at those before deciding to buy a Roma Pass primarily for this venue. Back when they were 20€ I bought then often... but as I learned more about the other options - and the price for the Roma Pass continued to escalate - I found myself using them less and less when friends visited. You also have to remember that it's not truly a 3-day pass. If you first validate or use it at 11:30 AM on Monday, your time is up at midnight on Wednesday. If you do plan on riding the buses, trams, and metro often - and you'll visit at least 2-3 major sights in the three day span... then yes, it can be a good buy.