Please sign in to post.

Transportation in London

What's the best and cheapest way to get around in London? Staying in Kensington area.
Jane

Posted by
14 posts

See the response in the question on travel in paris and london.

Posted by
1819 posts

I agree with Lola - walk! You see so much more that way; there's plenty of benches in parks for a "sit-down." If you aren't up for six miles over the course of a day, a compromise is to take a bus or taxi to the farthest point, then walk back. You might already know this, but google maps let's you check walking distances in London, as well as many other cities.

Posted by
1010 posts

We have stayed in the South Kensington area three times. Our hotel is directly across the street from the Gloucester tube station. We took the tube or their trains everywhere during the total of five weeks we were there. The tube is wonderful.

Posted by
16288 posts

Best and cheapest way for us is on foot. We love walking in London.

Posted by
13 posts

Thank all of you for your helpful suggestions. I thought I might be walking 50 miles.
Jane

Posted by
8700 posts

To give you the best advice, some more information will be helpful. How many days will you be in London? Will you be traveling solo or with someone?

Posted by
13 posts

I'll be staying at the Rembrandt for 3-1/2 days and I'm a lone granny setting out on an adventure.
Jane

Posted by
5519 posts

Get yourself an Oyster card when you arrive. Put some pay-as-you-go money on it. I'd suggest that you put 20 GBP on it. You can check the balance at any tube station and add more money if you need to. If you are flying into Heathrow, you can buy it there and take the tube right to South Kensington. Use the tube and the buses. You are close to the South Kensington tube on the Piccadilly, Circle, and District lines which is very convenient. I often stay in this area and I use the tube a lot ... While you are an easy walk to the the 3 South Ken museums, most of the other sites are best reached by tube. While London is a great city to walk in, it is a large city.

Posted by
8675 posts

A combo of walking and public transport (the tube and buses) should do you just fine. Get the Oyster card, wear comfortable shoes and enjoy yourself. GREAT city.

Posted by
17 posts

When I took the ETBD London city tour a few years ago, it included a week long card for the tube. While I was ok using the tube with the group, I always got extremely disoriented. When I was on my own, I took the bus. That way I got to see the sights, and I didn't get disoriented. My last day in London, after the tour was over, I was out of money (and exhausted) but I still had my tube/bus card, and I spent the day riding different busses around the city, walking a little, then riding back to Victoria Station to catch a different bus. I always feel silly when I tell people how I spent that day, but I loved it. I'd recommend the bus. Especially if you don't like feeling disoriented.

Posted by
1986 posts

from Kensington you will need to take a bus (for the experience) or the Tube (for efficiency) to a more touristy area and then walk around there. When i was in my 20s i would occassionally walk from St Pauls area to kensington. But that is for ambitious 20 year olds. Not many top places you can comveniently walk to from Kensington if you only have 3 and a half days to see the sights.

Posted by
3207 posts

I suggest you go to a transport window and ask for the city map that shows all the bus numbers on it. London is large, and while I walk with the best of them, sometimes it is nice just to hop on the bus, sit up top and enjoy the view. Kensington is on the opposite side of Hyde Park from a lot of the attractions, and while I love to sit in the cafe overlooking serpentine lake and have breakfast, I'd hate to HAVE TO walk the length of the park multiple times a day, when there are so many other sights to see. The bus will get you closer while getting to see the scenery. I use the Tube for trips when I don't want to see anything or am in a hurry.

Posted by
3762 posts

Bus route 9 will connect you to the tourist areas. Buses run between Kensington High Street and Trafalgar Square, where they overlap with route 15. The current route follows the following path: Kensington High Street, High Street Kensington Station, Royal Albert Hall, Knightsbridge Station, Hyde Park Corner Station, Green Park Station, Piccadilly Circus Station, then Trafalgar Square. The number 15 will take you from Trafalgar Square to Charing Cross Station, St. Paul's Churchyard, and Tower Hill Station (near the Tower of London). Using these two routes alone, you can get near many of the sights you want to see, or at least within walking distance. Also, you can get off any time and connect with another bus route or the tube. I like to see London from the bus sometimes. The tube is great, and fast, but you see more from the bus (to state the obvious). You might pass an interesting restaurant or shop and if you're on the bus, just get off at the next stop and walk back to it. Can't do that on the tube.

Posted by
13 posts

Hi Fellow Travelers, I appreciate your time and expertise to offer experiences and thoughts. Yes, seeing the sights from the top of the bus will do a lot toward knowing what is where and not getting disoriented. I am "directionally challenged" so this would be good for starters. Also, will help me get over my fear of being lost on my next adventure, Paris, where I have another couple of days. Thank ALL of you for your inputs.
Jane

Posted by
1986 posts

Jane
If you are "directionally challenged' be sure to get a good, very detailed map of the central london area. Unless you are familiar with london, coming out of the tube it is very easy to be disoriented, especially on a gray day when you cant see the sun, And so many of their streets bend and curve- and change names every few blocks.