Please sign in to post.

Transportation in Italy

I will be flying into Rome and need to get a train to Naples and then a boat to Positano. Any suggestions??? It is my first visit and as you might guess am very excited with many unknowns. Thanks for you help.
Ciao

Posted by
32328 posts

Melanie, Especially as this is your first visit, you may wish to pick up a copy of the Italy 2012 Guidebook, as there's a wealth of information there, including transportation to various parts of Italy. Is there a reason why you've chosen to go by boat from Naples to Positano, rather than via train and Bus? As you're arriving in Rome, you'll first need to get from FCO to Roma Termini, and the easiest and quickest method is the Leonardo Express (€14, 35 minutes, DON'T forget to validate your ticket in the yellow machine prior to boarding the train). You'll find excellent instructions on the route to follow on This Website. From Roma Termini, you'll travel via EuroStar Italia / Alta Velocita to Napoli Centrale. That's an easy and fast trip. When you arrive in Naples, you can choose to continue by Circumvesuviana (train) to Sorrento and then Bus to Positano OR by boat. You may find it helpful to have a look at This Website. One issue about arriving by boat in Positano is that the end of the dock is a bit of distance from the Hotels, and it's all uphill. That's not a hike I'd want to make with luggage! If you arrive by Bus, you'll probably be dropped at a stop on the road above town, and from there a Shuttle will take you to your Hotel (that was the situation when I was in Positano a few years ago). Which Hotel are you staying at? Buon Viaggio!