Please sign in to post.

Transportation from CDG to Paris

Hi - I'll be staying near the Grands Boulevards Metro Station (unfortunately hotels suggested by RS were full or only super expensive rooms left when I tried to book). I will have some bigger luggage with me (e.g. bigger than carry-on) so I don't think taking the Metro would be a good idea. I don't think there's an Air France shuttle bus that has a drop-off close by (closest would be Opera Garnier?) I thought about booking a shared shuttle but as RS had mentioned, it's not as convenient given that a scheduled time would need to be discussed beforehand and I've read that customs can take longer than expected. I thought about the private shuttle suggested by RS, but it's on the expensive side as there will only be 2 people travelling. Any suggestions on the best way to get there (e.g. I'm thinking my best options but also most expensive, are taxi and private shuttle?)

Posted by
2876 posts

The RER-B will take you right from the airport to the Grands Boulevards metro station without any transfers required. That's how I'd do it. You won't be the only ones on the train with luggage. The metro is mainly difficult when you have to do transfers because of all the walking & stairs you could encounter.

Posted by
358 posts

Most european travelers travel light and use the RER-metro w/o any problem. The metro is not user friendly when you have large and heavy luggage. I see more tourists from the asian countries,USA,ect having trouble with the stairs up and down along with trying to get through the turnstiles. I would suggest a taxi especially with at least 2 persons.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks for your suggestion Tom. I'm looking at the RER map and I don't seem to see Grands Boulevards as a station stop. Can you provide further details? Also, it is convenient / safe to bring medium sized luggage (e.g. bigger than a carry-on) on the RER or is it pretty common to do so as a lot of people take it from CDG? Thanks for your help!

Posted by
8700 posts

Grands Boulevards is a metro station on line 8. It is not close to any station on the RER B line. You would need to take the RER B to Gare du Nord, metro line 4 from there to Strasbourg - Saint-Denis, and metro line 8 from there to Grands Boulevards.

Posted by
591 posts

Easiest way would be to take the "Roissy Bus" from CDG to Opera Garnier, and then a short 5 minute taxi ride to your Grand Blvd Metro area hotel.
Roissy buses make the rounds of all the terminals 3 or 4 times an hour and then go non-stop to the Opera. No stairs to climb with the big luggage!

Posted by
1266 posts

Jamie, What size are you talking about when you say bigger than a carry-on. My wife slepped(sp?) a Ebags 25" rolling duffle and carry-on bag through the metro in Paris on the route Tim suggested.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! Tim - I like the idea of taking the Roissy bus to Opera Garnier, but I'll be in Paris on an early Sunday morning. As most things will be closed, do you think it'll be relatively easy to catch a taxi @ Opera Garnier? What are your thoughts about taking the RER to Gare du Nord and then taking a taxi from there? Joel - My luggages will be around 25" but if there's a lot of stairs going up and down and a lot of walking, then I would prefer to an easier (and hopefully not super expensive) route

Posted by
1850 posts

A Sunday morning taxi will cost you about $60---that's what we paid last summer. If there are two of you splitting that, it may not be much more than public transportation and it would be a lot easier if you are schlepping bigger luggage.

Posted by
8700 posts

The other Tim's idea of taking the Roissybus to Opera and a taxi from there to your hotel should work fine, even on a Sunday. There must be a taxi rank at Opera specifically to accommodate people who need to get around after they get off the bus. I hope someone will confirm my assumption. Yes, you certainly could get off the RER B at Gare du Nord, find a taxi rank, and take a taxi from there to your hotel. However, you would have to haul your luggage from below ground to street level.