Please sign in to post.

Transportation

My wife and I plan to spend about month or more in Garmisch, Germany. This will be our hub for travel in Bavaria. What is the best way to rent a car? We're not interested in a new car and prefer a compact car. I found that rental at the airpoprt is very expensive. Are there any alternitives?

Posted by
6960 posts

Just in case you haven't investigated the public transport options... Are you aware that transport on local buses and some train routes in and around Garmisch is very efficient and completely free? The resort tax that you must pay in Garmisch, whether you use the system or not, funds the free visitors card that you use as a transport ticket as well as discounts to local attractions: GAPA visitors card HERE is a sample route schedule for the Alpspitzbahn route. Here's a map of the area bus routes with stops; "Bahnhof" is the Garmisch train station, where buses stop and where you can catch regional trains and buses to other destinations using the Bayern ticket (26€/day for two): www.gemeindewerke-garmisch-partenkirchen.de/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=34&Itemid= Bayern Ticket