Please sign in to post.

transportation

Zurich to Rome or Genoa. We have been rerouted to land in Zurich rather than Rome. We have a cruise to catch in Rome on Jan 7th or day 2 (8th)of our cruise we could get on at Genoa. We plan to land the 5th in Zurich, but if the fog attacks san diego again tonight we would land the 6th and the cruise starts the 7th. Suggestions for trip. Transportation, stops, hints etc. economical travel.

Posted by
23460 posts

Not sure what you are asking. It is a very long way from Zurich to Rome via train - maybe 8 hours. Since you are at the airport in Zurich, look for a connecting flight to Rome. The cruise dock for Rome is about an hour to the NW. From the time you land in Rome you will need a minof three hours to four to get to the port. Are you flying independently or is your air booked through the cruise line? If it is booked through the cruise line they will take care of you. Another option, can you get out of San Diego before the fog hits again and get a connecting flight to somewhere in the US and then to Rome. I would really avoid going to Zurich if it can be avoided.

Posted by
36 posts

We Are paying the price for using buddy passes. We could not get out of san Diego anywhere because the planes couldn't land there. Everything was booked. So we missed the flight to Rome out of philly. Now we can try to get on a flight to Rome that is already 9 people overbooked or fly to Zurich, there is still space on that one. The train looks expensive although I'm not very experienced inseaarching for fares. Flights might be a better optiion, they seem expensive too. Maybe we are better off flying into Paris, maybe flights are moreavailable or less expensive to rome. Now we are on a flight to philly. Maybe a day in Paris would be more enjoyable than a stop on the train from Zurich to Rome. Although it is suppose to be pretty. At this point it is hard for me to research so I was looking for information on travel from Zurich o Rome what would be enjoyable with the 2 days we have to do it.

Posted by
23460 posts

Paris is not an improvement. It is further than Zurich. Go to bahn.de for all rail schedules in Europe. That would give you some idea of the schedules and travel time. We did Rome to Zurich a couple of years ago via train with an overnight in Milan because of connection problems. It is a pretty trip in Switzerland. If you are riding in the bump class then you need to take what you can get.