Please sign in to post.

Transportation

I'm taking the ferry from Stranraer to Belfast where I want to rent a car for three days. I will be turning the car in at the Dublin Airport. So far the best deal I have been able to get (HERTZ) is nearly $500. There is a $235 one-way fee included in this price. Making matters worse, my Capital One Visa does not cover Northern Ireland or the Republic on the CDW. Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheaper driving alternative? These three days will cost more than the entire two weeks we'll spend driving in France and the UK!

Posted by
9110 posts

Welcome to the cost of driving in the RoI or NI. The daily cost would have obviously dropped if you'd rented for a longer period. And, most people figure a way to get the car back to the same country in which they picked it up.

Posted by
9369 posts

The one-way drop off fee is because you are renting in one country and dropping in another. You could avoid that by taking the train from Belfast to Dublin and then renting. Or, if most of your driving will be in N. Ireland, you could drop your car back in Belfast and then take the train to Dublin. You are right that your credit card will not cover you in Ireland or N. Ireland - I don't know of any credit card that does anymore. You could get third party super CDW, but in the event of an accident you might have to pay the repair and later be reimbursed by the company.