Please sign in to post.

transportation

Help! Finally I got to Rome and Cinque Terre. We then traveled by train to a friends boat in Saint Tropez. Train again to Toulan, where we again caught up to friends boat. Now, my problem is: We fly from Barcelona to JFK on Sat, Sept. 10th. at 12 noon. Cannot seem to get there from Toulon, FR. Tried train and air flights either not timed right or tooo expensive. Bus/train must be only option--maybe rent a car? Can anyone advise me. Thank you, Cindi

Posted by
8700 posts

Renting a car would be very expensive because of the extra fee you would have to pay for getting the car in France and leaving it in Spain. If you're willing to take all regional trains on Friday, 9 September, you can save some money. Leave Toulon at 06:38 and arrive in Marseille at 07:36. Leave Marseille at 08:02 and arrive in Montpellier at 09:55. Leave Montpellier at 10:24 and arrive in Port Bou at 13:03. Leave Port Bou at 13:26 and arrive at Barcelona Sants at 15:39. According to the SNCF (French National Rail) site, the combined fare for the Toulon-Port Bou legs is €53.80. According to the Renfe (Spanish National Rail) site, the fare for Port Bou-Barcelona is €11.00. Or you could take a direct overnight Eurolines bus, leaving Toulon at 19:00 on Friday and arriving at Barcelona Sants at 05:00 on Saturday. The fare is €48.00. Personally, even with all the connections and a slightly higher fare, I'd take the train. It's wise to spend the night in your departure city before a flight across the Atlantic. Although it's not likely to happen, if the bus breaks down in the middle of the night, you stand a good chance of missing your flight home.

Posted by
13 posts

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I will go to the train station in the morning to purchase the itinerary you suggested. Thank you again. I've been on the computer all night trying to figure this out. I'm very disappointed I won't see Spain. But I never realized all the days I'd spend traveling. Oh well, it was my first trip and maybe next time I'll have more time to plan. Thank you again. Cindi