Please sign in to post.

Transportation

We are touring France and Italy for 13 days and have heard that we are better off financially to fly to London and then train to Paris rather than directly from Phila to Paris. Anyone agree. Thanks

Posted by
521 posts

Yes, that often is the case due to the number of connections that come in/out of London, although sometimes it might be cheaper to fly from London to Paris then instead of taking the train. That being said, you will never know until you price everything out to both cities. Depending on the dates you want, you might find a great deal to Paris.

Remember, though, that if you go to London you will need to figure out how to get into town from the airport, and then there may be additional costs for spending a night there, etc.

Posted by
8700 posts

There are no DIRECT cheap flights from Gatwick to Paris.

If you are flying into Heathrow, check YOUR airline for:
1. Fare for open jaw (multi-city) ticket (Phila-LHR, Italy-Phila).
2. Fare for open jaw ticket (Phila-Paris, Italy-Phila).

Also check:
1. Fare for flying British Airways from LHR to CDG. The fare for a single (one-way) ticket can be quite reasonable on BA. On Air France, however, the fare will be out of sight.
2. Cheapest advance fare for the London-Paris Eurostar. You can book up to 120 days in advance at www.eurostar.com.

The cheapest way to get from LHR to St. Pancras International rail station is to take the Tube (Piccadilly line) directly to King's Cross/St Pancras (£4).

Posted by
23267 posts

I don't agree. You need to check the flights yourself. There is no convention wisdom that one is better than the other. I just compared prices for a mid May flight from Phil to London/Paris. It was $55 cheaper to fly into Paris instead of London. If going to Italy, I assume Rome, you need to check on open jaw tickets. Into Paris and home from Rome. That will probably be far cheaper than either round trip to London or Paris.