Please sign in to post.

Transportation

Was wondering if taking the Eurostar from London to Paris was a comfortable ride and claustrophobic in any way? Will the underwater part be claustrophobic? I know, maybe a silly question, but have a fearful traveler. Thanks!

Posted by
6898 posts

The ride is extremely comfortable. You will be traveling through a tube under the English Channel - no doubt about it. I can't comment on how your fearful traveler may feel about it. If too serious, I believe that P&O has frequent ferry service from Dover to Calais. Trip takes 90 minutes.

Posted by
8 posts

Just watched a u tube so I think all will be fine. Thanks for your response. So when you get off at the station, where are you and how do you find your way around? Can you tell I'm very unfamiliar/inexperienced traveler? Spending two days in Paris, so it will be a fast trip.
Thanks!

Posted by
11507 posts

Libby when you get off the train in Paris you are at Gare Du Nord. Look up for the signs that say "Taxi", walk out door , get in taxi line. To make it easy have the name of your hotel , the complete address( include the postal code that starts with 750--) and say "bonjour" to driver, then hand him the paper. This makes it easier because you don't have to worry if you are misprounouncing the name, and the complete address is important as it narrows it down to area , plus many hotels have similar names. Always when dealing with anyone in France, taxi driver, ticket taker, bakery clerk, always start every single exchange with "Bonjour madame or bonjour monsieur" they think its rude to just be "barked" at without a proper greeting first.
The Eurostar is comfy and fine, and you don't feel like you are underwater at all, just in a dark tunnel and thats only for 20 minutes max . Second class is fine. Bring your own snacks everyone does. Although literature says to be at station 1/2 hr before better to be there at least 45 minutes ahead When you arrive in Paris you have already cleared immigration in London , you literally just walk off. There are no porters or if they are they are hiding , make sure you can handle your own luggage.

Posted by
11294 posts

If your claustrophobia can handle a 8-10 hour plane ride, it can certainly handle a 2 and a half hour train ride (remember, on a train you can get up and walk around at will, and you can go from one car to another). As for what to do on arrival in Paris: do everything EXACTLY as Pat says. She's got it covered. The part about copying the complete hotel address and postal code is important, and you should also have the phone number, so the driver can call the hotel for further directions if needed. Some well-meaning person is bound to tell you to take the Metro instead of a taxi from Gare du Nord to your hotel. Ignore them. Yes it's cheaper, but you don't need the hassle with luggage in a strange city. Once you've stowed your bags at the hotel, you can then explore the city by Metro (or, of course, on foot or by bus). Rick Steves books will have lots of useful information for your visit, including about the train stations and getting around the city. There's quite a selection for Paris, including Best of Europe, France, Paris and Pocket Paris, depending on what else you're seeing on this trip. They're especially helpful for first timers and fearful travelers, so be sure to pick one up before you go.

Posted by
403 posts

Just a thoughthow does this person feel about regular tunnels on a train? If long tunnels bother them, the Eurostar tunnel may be very difficult. My mom is claustrophobic and absolutely will not ride through the chunnel. The combination of tunnel + underwater (even though you can't see it!) is too much for her. So I recommend proceeding with caution. It doesn't bother me a lick, but for someone who is affected by claustrophobia, it is a serious question. That said, the train is super comfortable, very nice. Basically, the windows all go black when you go through the tunnel, as if it were nighttime. There is no sensation of going "down" or under anything. You enter what appears to be a regular tunnel, you come out in France. The journey through the countryside on either end is very nice. Hope that helps!

Posted by
3580 posts

The under-the-water part of the train trip is the smoothest part of the entire trip. That's when I get up to walk to the loo. On the rest of the trip there is a lot of swaying that I find throws me off balance while trying to walk in the aisle.

Posted by
5332 posts

Speed limit within the tunnel is only 100 mph compared with 186 mph otherwise.

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you for the great responses. Would the "economy" tickets be comfortable?

Posted by
32834 posts

Second Class Eurostar is 2+2 seating, very comfortable, like Business Class flying. Read what the Man in Seat 61 has to say. There is a good Standard Class photo on the right hand side, second photo down. Does it look comfortable enough? Play the video on the page.

Posted by
1840 posts

Here is a little known fact about the tunnel that goes from England to France. It, and all the associated tracks and rolling stock were planned and built by a conglomerate of companies. The CEO of the conglomerate was a University of Idaho graduate - in architecture. He came back and was honored during an honors convocation at which he spoke at length about the planning and construction of the tunnel. He also spoke at graduation that year.