Please sign in to post.

Transportation

Greetings! I have used Rick Steves for several trips and am a loyal customer! My favorite was the Southern Italy/Sicily guided trip! I am investigating another trip to Italy and Southern France and have some questions. I am interested in visiting Cinque Terre (at least 2 days), Florence (1-2 days), Venice (1-2 days), and the south of France (2-3 days). I may be staying with friends in a villa near Sorrento as my main hub (for 7-10 days) and then jetting out to the above places from Sorrento. 1. What is the best city to fly into, and then how to get to Sorrento? I'd prefer not to drive and take trains, buses, etc. 2. What is the best route to get to the above places, and what is the method of transportation for each? Is it reasonable to jet out to each place and then back to the hub in Sorrento, or is it best to jet out from Sorrento and not return to Sorrento until after visiting all places? 3. What would be best to book through (and purchase) with Rick Steves? Thanks for your help. I look forward to doing business with you again!
Gigi

Posted by
922 posts

Gigi, questions on this Helpline are answered by volunteers from the traveling public, like yourself. The RS staff doesn't respond here, but you could phone Europe Through the Back Door (425-771-8303 ext. 298) and speak to a travel consultant, if you need more information after reading the replies you will no doubt receive here.

Posted by
4412 posts

I'm not positive I follow your question...How many total days will you be in Europe, including Sorrento? Are you saying you DO or DO NOT want to train/bus? And by 'jet', do you mean 'airplane' or 'travel/scoot/boogie'? You could fly into Rome or Naples, then train to Sorrento. From there, train to Florence, then Venice, then CT, then 'south of France'. OR, Sorrento-Venice-Florence-CT; I thought I'd break up a long travel day of Sorrento-Venice...Then depending on what 'south of France, means to you, you can fly home from Paris, Milan, Pisa, Florence, Rome...whichever city you'd like. What exactly do you mean by #3?