Please sign in to post.

transportation

What is the best and least expensive way to get from Paris to Venice and then 2 or 3 days later travel to Florence. This is for 2 people in October and we will need no other trains. Thanks in advance.

Posted by
1167 posts

That depends on what you mean by "best." Is it fastest? Most scenic?

Posted by
32329 posts

Gay, > Paris to Venice - EasyJet from either CDG or ORY (~2 hour flight, fares as low as about €50, depending on when you book - usually cheaper from ORY). > Venice to Florence - Freccia fast train (2H:05M from Venezia S.L. to Firenze SMN - I believe Italo also operates on that route so check prices there as well). Happy travels!

Posted by
5 posts

I would think the best way is to travel during the day. The overnight train is very expensive and you miss the beauty of the country. I think I have this portion figured out. But our trip from Venice to Florence is what I am confused about. What kind of train pass or ticket would be best? This is the only train we will need after the Paris-Florence one. Is a combination ticket for the 2 trips the best or do we need to buy a pass? Do we buy a flex-pass?

Posted by
23573 posts

What is confusing about Venice to Florence? Easiest, quickest, and cheapest is the train. If you book far enough in advance you can get some Super Economy fares that probably are less than 20E, second class. Of course, these tickets are absolutely no refund, no change. Use trenitalia.com for schedule and pricing info.

Posted by
2092 posts

Gay, did you check the fares for the train from Paris to Venezia S. Lucia? It takes about 11 hours and the prices range from €230 - 349. Easyjet runs around €55 plus the add-ons for baggage and using a cc but still less than the 11 hour trains. I used sncf.com and easyjet.com to find this info and since I did know what dates you need to travel, was using 5 September for the travel date.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you to all of you who have replied. I booked a flight from Paris to Venice, great advice, thanks again, and a train from Venice to Florence. Any ideas on places to stay in Tuscany for 3 days?

Posted by
32329 posts

Gay, WHERE are you planning to stay in Tuscany? It's impossible to suggest places to stay without having some idea which town you prefer. You could stay in Florence (which is in Tuscany) as that makes a great "home base" for exploring that region. Cheers!

Posted by
5 posts

We will be in the Tuscany area for 3 days after leaving Florence and then down to Rome. We will have a car, we won't need a pool, we love wine and good food. We are looking for a B & B type residence centrally located south of Florence and North of Rome. We plan to try to see many towns but don't want to move each night. A view or a balcony would be splendid. And also with only 3 days...any town to conveniently miss.
Gay

Posted by
5 posts

I have never been to Tuscany so that is why I am asking the experts. We would like to be centrally located between Florence and Rome. A B&B sounds nice. We love wine and good food and will be driving these 3 days. Have you stayed in a particular town you loved? Do you remember the name of the hotel or B&B? My price pints are middle to high and I would love a view or a terrace. We don't need a pool or a/c in November. The dates are November 3, 4, and 5, leaving for Rome on the 6th. Thanks again, Gay