Please sign in to post.

Transportation

I'm planning train Prague to Munich April 27, but haven't reserved. Do I need to or is there a reason I should reserve with RailEurope (and have them rush me paper tickets) before I depart April 24? Do prices go up? Do they sell out? RailEurope agent told me it was "open seating". Does that mean seat reservations are needed or not available? Therefore I wonder the need to pre-reserve ticket. Will I do just as well buying directly at the station in price and flexibility? There are only two trains: one at 9 a.m. and one at 5 so I have to make the one I go to the station for.
Is RailEurope the only company to buy thru? Can I risk "at the station" the week after Easter?

Posted by
19240 posts

There are two basic routes from Prague to Munich. One is by direct or one stop regional train via Schwandorf and Furth im Wald. Since these are regional trains, there are no reservations, it is open seating. If you can get a €33 Bayern-Böhmen ticket (valid for up to 5 people) before then, you can purchase Czech Rail P-P tickets for about €6 per person in Prague and use it to Pilsen, then use the B-B ticket from there to Munich. That's about €23 per person. There is also a train RailEurope didn't tell you about, leaving Prague at 13:10, arriving Munich at 19:04. It has one change of trains in Schwandorf (no big deal). The other route is by Intercity bus from Prague to Nürnberg, then ICE to Munich. This is an hour faster and seat reservations are mandatory, but it is a non-refundable, online discount ticket. Right now the tickets are selling for €39 pP.

Posted by
4412 posts

Please go to http://www.bahn.de/i/view/USA/en/index.shtml to look at your choices; you'll see there are MANY more than Rail Europe shows... Deutsche Bahn is the German train company. As Lee said, depending on the time of day you want to travel, you can get a €39,00 or €49,00 ticket online today; OR you can spend twice that much at the ticket counter...FYI, even though it says you can spend 'only' €89,00 for first class (advance purchase), that would only apply to the 1-hour long train ride b/n Nuernberg and Munich, I'd assume. I've never seen 1st and 2nd classes on coaches...OK - not in decades. Many people here have commented on how much they really liked the "Student Agency" bus between Prague and Munich - you can see photos on their website (below). Free tea/coffee, newspapers, movies, music channels...NOTE where the dp and ar stations are located!!! http://www.studentagencybus.com/en/413_444/München-PRAGUE-COACH-BUS

Posted by
19240 posts

No, Eileen, the fare applies to the ICE b/n Munich & Nürnberg AND the bus b/n Nürnberg and Prague. It's a split level Bahn coach with 1st class in the lower, front part and 2nd class in the upper, back part. In fact, you can book just the coach, from Nürnberg to Prague (or v-v), on a Europa-Spezial Tschechien fare for €19 2nd cl. The supplement with a railpass is €10/15 2nd/1st class.

Posted by
14 posts

Lee, I like first option. Is P-P $6 ticket Prague-PIlsen ? I buy at Prague train station as I depart? You mention "if you can get the B-B" ticket? Do I buy in advance online at bahn.de? If it is valid for 5 (we are 3) do I buy one or three?
Thank you and Eileen so much. You were very helpful.

Posted by
19240 posts

Actually, the fare from Prague to Pilsen is in Czech Koruna, 147 Kc. I gave the fare in Euro, €6.08, because I think it is more stable. In USD it's $6.79. Getting the B-B ticket in advance is stickier. If you will be in German before this, you just buy it for the desired date at an automat. If not, you can buy it from the "Bahn Ticket Store", but it is in German. I will send you the URL for the ticket store and how to proceed (I should probably put these instructions on my website). I don't think the Bayern-Böhmen ticket is sold in Prague or in Pilsen (would require getting off the train if it is). It's the same price, €34, for 2-5 people.

Posted by
14 posts

Thank you Lee for all the specific detail on options. Wonderful. I decided to take the third option from your first email, the Intercity bus to Nuremberg, then the ICE at 39 euro...not as good as your P-P and then B-B idea, but still not so bad at 39 euro. And I feel better knowing I have the tickets in hand.
I understand that the Praha Wilsonova bus is above the main Praha train station? Ticket says Waidhaus Gr/ N-Hbf. I expect I will get off at Nuremberg and just go directly to train there?