Please sign in to post.

transportation

What is best and least expensive way from Charles de Gaule to Hotel Champs de Mars in Rue Cler area. Will be leaving in a few weeks for Paris. Lorraine

Posted by
32214 posts

Lorraine, the "best and least expensive way" from CDG to the Rue Cler area is to use the RER "B" and then the Metro. For detailed information, have a look at * parisbytrain.com * (cut & paste the link inside the asterisks). Use the RER from the airport to Gare du Nord or Chatelet, and then transfer to the Metro (I can provide more specific instructions if needed). You'll be able to use the same ticket as long as you don't exit the system. Your destination is the Ecole Militaire station (Line 8) and from there it's only a short walk to Hotel Champs de Mars. You might find it helpful to photocopy and enlarge the map in the Guidebook, so that you have something to refer to when you exit the Metro at Ecole Militaire. Buon Voyage!

Posted by
14 posts

Thank you very much. Just printed reply in case my memory fails. Lorraine 10/2/10

Posted by
9110 posts

I'm sure Ken's correct, but it seems to me that if you used Chatelet you'd have to make another change at Concorde or something. Regardless, I'd make the change at Paris Nord since Chatelet bills itself as the largest undergound station in the world and some of the tunnel hikes are a half mile from the RER side to the far metro platforms.

Posted by
2876 posts

The RER - Metro is certainly the cheapest way. Whether it's also the best way might depend on the number of people in your party, the size & number of suitcases you're hauling, your age and physical fitness, etc. Example: if you're 4 seniors hauling large suitcases, a taxi minivan won't be anywhere near the cheapest, but it might well be the best.

Posted by
32214 posts

Lorraine, I wasn't sure if you'd need more detailed information. I wouldn't have any hesitation in using Châtelet Les Halles (which is a "super transfer station" so some walking is required), but there's another route you might find easier. ¶ Take RER "B" from CDG to Gare du Nord; transfer to Metro Line 4 (direction Porte d'Orleans) to Strasbourg St.-Denis (which is the third stop); transfer to Metro Line 8 (direction Balard) to Ecole Militaire (which is the ninth stop). You can follow your stops on the small chart inside the cars. When you arrive in each station, there will be a sign on the wall also. ¶ Be sure to check the parisbytrain website so that you have a good idea on how to obtain tickets for the RER. You can buy tickets at the staffed ticket booths, but the automated ticket machines at CDG only take Euro coins or "chip & PIN" credit cards. There's often a huge queue at the ticket windows, so I tend to prefer the machines. Cheers!