Please sign in to post.

transportation

hello,
my family is traveling to Italy and Germany in a few weeks. we plan to take the train between towns in Italy and rent a car in Germany. We were thinking of taking the overnight train from Venice to Munich but were wondering if anyone has done that and what the opinions are. thanks.

Posted by
4412 posts

Opinions on the N/T only? Ummmmm, they're fun but pretty much nobody gets any sleep on them. Then, you stagger around Munich, exhausted...Your room probably isn't ready, so you leave your luggage there and spend the rest of the day wishing you could nap :-( I've had to make this same decision about a trip in Fall 2011; I really tried to talk myself into another N/T to save myself an all-day (8:00 - 20:00) train ride, but I just couldn't. For very special, and unusual, reasons I don't want to break up my trip into two legs, but that is what I would normally do.

Posted by
19238 posts

By the way, you are invited to attend the April meeting of the Denver ETBD group at Panera Bread (Aspen Grove, so. end of SW light rail line). Why would you rent a car in Germany? Germany has one of the best public transortation systems in Europe. You can get literally anywhere and with advance purchase Länder tickets and all day passes, it will cost much less than a car. A lot of people take the overnight train from Venice to Munich, so many that it is often sold out a months in advance. It kind of depends on your ability to sleep on the train. I have no problem, but some do. Private doubles are pretty expensive, but for a family of four, a couchette would be private and much less expensive.