Please sign in to post.

Transportation

Is there an overnight train from Salzburg (or Munich) to Interlaken (Gimmelwald) that provides the Eurail pass discount? I can't seem to find one at all? We're traveling to Gimmelwald (hopefully) the night of June 1st into June 2nd and we have our Eurail passes already.

Posted by
19092 posts

There is a night train from Salzburg to Zürich, but it leaves Salzburg at 1:40 in the morning and gets to Zürich at 7:20. I don't think that short time (less than 6 hours) on a night train is worth it. From Zürich to Interlaken, you'd have to take day trains for another 2 hours anyway.

Posted by
6898 posts

Please note that beyond the Interlaken Ost train station and into Lauterbrunnen and Gimmelwald, your Eurail pass will only get you a 25% discount. Plus, I dont' think that the bus from the Lauterbrunnen train station to Stechelberg where you catch the gondola up to Gimmelwald will accept the pass at all. At the time you will be there, be sure to watch for the farmers walking their cows up to a higher pasture. You can see this in Lauterbrunnen and Muerren. Also, if the weather is nice, take the walk down to Gimmelwald from Muerren on the nice road between the two villiages. It's all downhill from Muerren. The wildflowers will be in full bloom. Been there done that in very early June.