Please sign in to post.

transportation

I am trying to get information about Air Berlin. Some feedback (could be a few years old)complains about older planes, poor service, bad food, etc. It is just about the only airline that will take my frequent flier miles at leave from the Newark NJ airport. I do feel a little uneasy, but I hope someone can help me decide whether or not to take the airline to Denmark. Any advice?

Posted by
20254 posts

Looking at the AB website and they seem to fly out of JFK, not EWR. Their Berlin nonstop is an AirBus A-330 which can't be more than 10 years old and IMHO is a very comfortable flyer even in middle seats. If they are the only ones willing to take you there on ff miles, I'd jump on it even if they served hotdogs.

Posted by
284 posts

I've only used them inside of Europe, but they are legit. I was surprised to see that they are not offering US service. I'd do it.

Posted by
15266 posts

All Airbus 330 owned by air Berlin were purchased on or after 2008. I have no experience of flying with them, but I don't choose airlines based on the expectation they will be serving gourmet food. None of them do. They all serve microwaved pre prepared food trays. How good can that be even on the best of circumstances? Looking at review and message boards online I don't see any particular concern with their service. Or at least not more than you'd see with all other airlines. I would choose the airline based on price and convenience of flight times and connections. As long as they have a decent safety record, I can deal with the food. I'll make it up at a good restaurant after I land.

Posted by
11507 posts

My husband used them a few years ago, they are of course legit and he had no problem with them at all. All airlines have crap food , I would never in a million years base what airline I fly based on that, I 'm too poor to do that! Best price, and reliable is all I care about. I have seen rude service on every airline I have flown on, some nice, some rude, I also don't care, just get me where I am going safely. Pack food, I always do, or at least pick up a nice to go salad or sandwich in airport.

Posted by
2779 posts

I have answered this very question at least three times this year on this website already: Air Berlin is a oneworld member with a majority owned by UAE's prime airline Etihad. AB's business class is the exact same as Etihad's. Air Berlin's economy class is even better as Lufthansa's. And you get free drinks incl. beers, wines etc. Across the Atlantic they fly pretty new Airbus 330... I suppose you'd either fly to Düsseldorf or Berlin to change to your short-haul flight to Copenhagen. Berlin Tegel is an interim-airport only as they're waiting for the new airport to finally open. It's not a pretty airport at the moment but it works all fine. Compare AB short-haul to any other short-haul flight you know in the US - but again you get a free beverage and a free snack. The short-haul fleet consists of new Boeing 737-700, -800, Airbus A319 and A320.

Posted by
11613 posts

My very picky friends flew Air Berlin and loved it, service was fabulous and the ride was smooth.