Please sign in to post.

transportation

my husband and i are travelling in november 2012 from vilnius to krakow we are thinking of taking the bus or train is this possible

Posted by
1078 posts

It's probably possible, however, be aware that the transportation sytem(other than air) in the region is way behind Western Europe.
I am familair with Poland, and trains are not to Western EU standards, and personally would not even try to use a bus for that kind of a trip. You can probably fly Vilnius/Warsaw/Krakow via LOT.

Posted by
284 posts

Yes, but it will be trek (about 23 hours). You will need to take a train from Vilnius to Kaunas, departing at 4:25am (I'm not sure if they are running on Moscow time...) then transfer Kaunas to Sestokai where you will need to change again due to changes in the rail gauge to a train to Warsaw and then another train to Krakow. If you do it in one day, you'll arrive at 2:13am the next day. OR... there is a bus that departs at 1700 from Vilnius and arrives at Krakow 600am next day for about 65 Euro ($76).. (https://eticket.toks.lt) Be aware that there may be day restrictions (I'm seeing Saturday only departures at the moment for November)
OR... for about $130 you can fly from Vilnius to Krakow in 4 hours with a connection in Warsaw.

Posted by
2 posts

thanks for the input i was hoping there was a better way than flying but i guess not thanks again

Posted by
12040 posts

I have taken this route by train, and it is not possible in one day. Krakow to Warsaw takes a few hours, and Warsaw to Vilnius takes the better part of a day.