Please sign in to post.

transportation

Is there any reason to take the AVE train from Madrid to Barcelona for $151 instead of the plane for $65?

Posted by
984 posts

1.$151 - amusing price! Read one of the many guides on advance discounted purchase of train tickets. 2.The comfort.
3.City centre to city centre.

Posted by
521 posts

No, but you may not be comparing like with like. What airfare would you expect to pay if you walked up to the airline ticket desk and asked to fly the same day? I haven't checked, but I'd guess that wouldn't be $65. If your itinerary is settled and you can book ahead then the AVE won't cost $151 (say €115). A month from now I can see Turista fares as low as €42.70 ($56). The same ticket the day after tomorrow (Monday) is €106.70).

Posted by
4181 posts

The AVE train goes very fast and will get you from Madrid to Barcelona in 3 hours or less. I have a picture of the speedometer in our car when it hit 300 KPH. That is probably faster than flying when you factor in all the issues around flying. You can get food in the cafeteria or splurge a little on the prepared meal, served like in a nice restaurant. I loved seeing the countryside we went through. Part of it was like a moonscape. I'd take the train for the experience itself. The Man in Seat 61 can't be beat for this kind of info. I tried to link to the page about train travel in Spain, but it just wouldn't work, so here's the address without the link: http://www.seat61.com/Spain-trains.htm#.Uitq1TZJOp0. Be sure to scroll down the page for the pictures.

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you all; your replies were very helpful. With very little Spanish, I was reduced to getting a train ticket through Rail Europe, which wasn't offering any discount. The Man in Seat 61 looks great; I'll try to get a discount train ticket through them. Thanks again,
Nancy

Posted by
1559 posts

You don't need to know Spanish to use the Renfe site. Either goto tripadvisor and find the Renfe forum, which has a terrific step by step instructions, or google "Renfe purchase instructions" for another downloadable PDF on purchasing the tickets. Follow the instructions exactly and, with patience, you will do fine. Safe travels.

Posted by
7 posts

Success!...thanks to you all. I tried The Man in Seat 61, and got to selecting a ticket for $81, but when the payment page came up, it was $172! So I prowled for another site, found ACP (through Trip Advisor), and purchased a ticket for $80. Easy. Thanks again for advice and support! -Nancy

Posted by
1178 posts

Nancy Good work on getting the ticket. There is also a link on Trip Advisor with the details of doing just that for anyone else who might be reading this post. Be sure to Register on the site at the first opportunity.. makes the job much easier. The ticket will have the coach number and the seat number on it. The trains leave ON TIME from the Atocha Station. You will take the escalator down to the area to board the train. You carry your luggage. Place it in the bin at either end of the car. 2 1/2 hours later you will be in Sevilla. There is a sandwich/coffee car on the train. When you arrive in Sevilla, there will be taxis outside the station. Enjoy the trip.

Posted by
9369 posts

Renfe's website has an English version. I booked a ticket about 40 days ahead, and got it for 38 euros. From the center of Barcelona to the center of Madrid it was just over two hours (AVE) and could not have been more comfortable. Loads of legroom, huge tray tables, a movie.... way better than being at the airport hours ahead of a cramped flight to an airport outside the city.