Please sign in to post.

Transportation

Can you rent a car in Germany without a credit card? We use check cards/debit cards only --- and also cash! --- and have done so for years in the U.S. But when we check with car rental companies online, they all say they want to put a hold on our credit card.

Posted by
811 posts

i think you should be ok as far as your debt card has visa or master logo, just so if no show or other incidents occur the rental company can still charge you.

Posted by
2745 posts

I disagree with the earlier poster. If they say they want a "credit card" then your debit with a "Visa" logo may (and can be) denied. I have seen it happen :) Also, realize that even if they do accept the debit the 'hold' will be placed. Only this time it's on your cash! I would call Auto Europe and see what they say. They have you pay in advance and may be willing to work with you on the use of a debit card. Do not just show up and assume "my debit card will work" without some type of arrangement.

Posted by
1450 posts

Linda, I suspect you are like my husband and I and don't like having any debt. We have credit cards, but pay off the entire balance every month. I personally can't imagine going to Europe without a credit card (incase I had a problem with my debit card). I will also tell you that one advantages of many credit cards is that when you rent a car with them they provide insurance. Our american express does this so we always use it when renting cars - here or in Europe. This is something that is different with every credit card so would need to be checked out.

Posted by
9363 posts

I also disagree with the first poster, sort of. They might indeed let you rent the car with a debit card, but they could place a hold on the card until the car is returned, which could tie up ALL of your money on the card. You don't want to rent the car and then find out that you have no access to money on your trip. The only way around that might be to keep your travel funds on a debit card tied to a different account.

Posted by
973 posts

The car companies ensure you have enough available credit for the entire rental and more, in some cases. I was closely monitoring our credit use in Brussels last year and the rental car agency had placed a temporary hold on our card for more than the full amount due, tho we had just picked it up a day previously. Having a credit card for at least the guarantee and then using your debit upon return for the actual charge would work.

Posted by
84 posts

The capital one credit card offers a good free insurance for renting cars in Europe. You would not have to purchase the extra insurance that would be offered by Car rental company and Capital One does not charge any fees other than the exchange from Euro to dollar on their credit card--which is another good reason to have this card for your Europe travel. Check it out!

Posted by
3049 posts

Yeah, it's a really good idea to have a backup, actual credit card for international travel for reasons like this. Even if you hate being in debt, just don't use it when you're not traveling. I would strongly consider getting one.

Posted by
8166 posts

All finance institutions are quick to loan money to people that don't need to borrow. Debit cards do not give you certain rights of chargeback that credit cards give. But your debit card used in bank ATMs for Euros gets the best exchange rates. I wouldn't consider traveling anywhere without a credit card, if just for free rental car insurance. Life is just so much easier when you're carrying one; especially if you're going to rent cars. You should apply for a card without any annual fees. If you charge anything on it, do as I do and pay it before the due date. Then, cut the card up after you get home. I would suggest going with AutoEurope.com for car rentals. You usually get a Hertz car anyway. Some of the big U.S. rental brands have European partners that cause a great deal customer problems.

Posted by
23318 posts

......offers a good free insurance for renting cars in Europe.......... Be very, very carefully of the "free insurance" offered by credit card companies. You need to have read the fine print several times and understand the limitations. Just saying you have insurance is not enough. Over the past couple of years there have been several horrid stories posted here of credit card insurance that refused to pay for damages. It is a three way fight - car rental company, your credit card company and you - guess who has no power and loses. Some reports APPEAR to suggest that the Am Express card is best for insurance and the standard VISA, Mastercards are pretty weak. Personally I would not rely on a credit card company to provide back up insurance.

Posted by
2745 posts

I found my Diners Club Mastercard was my best bet. One thing you ALWAYS want to look for with the credit card is, does it provide PRIMARY coverage. Or are they going to try to get your insurance to pay first. While your insurance might not pay for Europe, they will then have a record of the 'issue' which can effect your rates. I perfer that the card be primary. But Frank is right. READ the stuff don't just assume or take the word of the person on the phone.....

Posted by
12172 posts

Most rental companies want a credit card, so they have something to draw against in the event of damage/loss. The checking account behind a debit card may be emptied so it's the equivalent of them holding a check as a deposit. When I was about 23, a Hickam AFB, HI rental company rented a car to four 2nd Lts. (none of us had a credit card) for about a $500 cash deposit. That was the exception, however, and rental agencies are much less likely to be flexible today. Up until then, I didn't think I needed or wanted a credit card. After that, I got one.