Please sign in to post.

transportaion

We are staying in an apartment in Salzburg, Austria but our flight home to the states will be out of Munich in 2 weeks. We have train passes and want to know if we can take a train from Salzburg to Munich and then on to the airport. Or do we need to switch to the s-bahn or what is the best way. Our flight leaves at 11:30 from Munich and we know it is a 2 hour train ride to Munich if we leave on the 6:30 train we will arrive at 8:30 and then we planned another 30-45 minutes to the airport. Or should we plan to stay in Munich the night before we leave?

Posted by
6950 posts

A German railpass or Eurailpass is good on all the trains and S-Bahn equipment between Salzburg and Munich airport. Search for trains and connections at this page: http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en Use "Salzburg Hbf" for your start station.
Use "Munich Airport T" for your destination station. It's a trip of more than 2.5 hours. I would prefer to stay overnight closer to the airport so as to minimize any stress about getting there on time. I would cancel my last night in Salzburg and arrange to stay at the airport or in Freising (or nearby) which is right near the airport. Use your railpass day to get there. The bus from Freising the following morning takes a mere 17 min. - or check with hotels there, which may have shuttle service. If you want to stay in Munich proper, you can do that too, but plan on a 40+ min. ride to the airport from Munich's main station.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks, this has been helpful and I will check the train times and connections.

Posted by
19240 posts

If you stay in Freising, there is a bus from the station to the airport. Takes about 20 min and costs €2,50/P.

Posted by
8700 posts

It's wise to be at the airport three hours before a flight across the Atlantic. If you decide to stay in Salzburg, I recommend that you take the 05:45 IC train to Munich Ost (one stop before the Hauptbahnhof) and the S 8 from there to the airport, arriving at 08:15. Or you could take the 06:09 RE train to Munich Ost and the S 8 from there to the airport, arriving at 08:55. If you take the 06:39 IC train to Munich Ost and the S 8 from there, you won't get to the airport until 09:15. That's too late.