Please sign in to post.

Trains on strike?

we are currently In France and need to get to florence from nice, on the 21st. they are saying there is a train strike so we can not use a train. Any suggestions? Nothing shows up when we go to the train sights. merci for any help you can give us.

Posted by
8700 posts

Fly easyJet from Nice to Rome FCO, departing at 16:00 and arriving at 17:10. Take the Leonardo Express train from the airport to Rome Termini and a high-speed EuroStar Italia train from there to Florence. If you manage to catch the 16:08 express, you'll get to Termini in time to catch the 17:10 train to Florence which arrives at 18:33. The next express leaves at 16:38 and would allow you to catch the 17:45 train to Florence which arrives at 19:17. Buy all your tickets at the station at the airport.

Posted by
3198 posts

Who is the "they" who are saying this? There are lots of websites mentioning a train strike in Italy on Dec 16, starting at 21:00 on the 15th. But that is past. Both Trenitalia and Bahn.de are showing all trains running on schedule on the 21st.

Posted by
8700 posts

In my previous post I presumed that you had heard that SNCF (French National Rail) was going to be on strike. If it's Trenitalia (Italian National Rail), then obviously my route won't work. If it's SNCF, then you could take a bus from Nice to Ventimiglia and trains from there to Florence. I hope that Sasha is right and there will be no strike by either SNCF or Trenitalia workers.

Posted by
3198 posts

I don't know that I am right, I just could not find any indications of a December 21 strike that would affect Carol on the Internet. I" ll keep looking. But in the meantime I am curious where she heard that.

Posted by
3198 posts

Apparently the French union called for strikes each weekend in December, but the head of SNCF, Monsieur Pépy, says they have been called off. And in any case the 21st is not a weekend day.

Posted by
9 posts

thank you to all. Yes the trains are running again:-). We will get to nice after this Helpx in Uzes! And we will wait to get train tickets when we get to nice

Posted by
9 posts

OkHave returned from our France/Italy trip. Regarding the difficulty getting train tickets in advance from France to Italy-When in Nice we still were able to only get a train ticket across the border to Ventimigliathen could get the train tickets for the rest of the trip to Florencebecause of some complication between France-Italy coordinating the ticket purchase.