Please sign in to post.

Trains in Spain

We are two older ladies, aged 60+, traveling in Spain, based in Granada. I can't figure out which is more economical: A Eurail Spain pass, OR point-to-point tickets counting on a Senior discount of 25% to 40%.We will travel Madrid to Granada & Granada to Barcelona as well as day trips from Granada. 5 days total.

Posted by
4535 posts

If you can purchase ahead of time with discounts, the point-to-point tickets should be cheaper. Short trips in Spain are cheap to buy day-of. The Granada to Barcelona trip is very long. Have you considered flying? It might be cheaper and for sure is faster and less tiring than the train.

Posted by
23267 posts

I am sure for your limited travel p2p with discount will be cheaper. You have to buy a one year senior discount card -- 5E eighteen months ago. The senior discount with card is 40% weekday and 25% weekend and I believe Friday is part of the weekend.

Posted by
1178 posts

Aline... "older ladies" are not those "aged 60+"!! But, as far as the travel is concerned, follow the advice of Frank in his comment above...the senior pass is the way to go...also, you can purchase tickets on the Renfe site 62 1/2 days before your travel and usually save a good amount.

Posted by
989 posts

I thought we were "middle-aged" until 80!! (that's according to Katharine Hepburn.