Please sign in to post.

Trains in Italy

My wife and I are traveling to Italy from July 3 through July 14, 2013. We are going to Venice (2), Florence (3), Riomaggiore (3), and Rome (2). We are using trains to get to these cities. Because of price and scheduling, I booked tickets using the following websites: Italotreno, ItaliaRail, and Trenitalia. Do I need to print or pick these tickets up at the train station? How do you validate train tickets? Thanks

Posted by
23267 posts

You should have a confirmation with the PNC code which is all your need. The printout/ticket should specify train number, train car number and seat number. That is all you need. Those tickets do not need validation since there are good for only train at one time. If you miss the train, the tickets may be worthless. The ONLY tickets that need to be validated are tickets for Regional trains which do not have seat reservation. You cannot buy online so you should not have any of those tickets.

Posted by
8700 posts

Venice-Florence: I assume you will be traveling on a direct high-speed train which means you will have reserved seats and you won't need to validate your tickets. You can book tickets more than one week in advance for legs on Regionale trains if they are bought in conjunction with tickets for legs on trains requiring reservations. Florence-Riomaggiore: At least one leg will be on a Regionale train. You will have to validate the tickets at a machine in the station for each leg on a Regionale train. Riomaggiore-Rome: Same as Florence-Riomaggiore.

Posted by
254 posts

Thank you both for your help. The train tickets have already been purchased. We do have reserved seats Venice to Florence and La Spezia to Rome.