Please sign in to post.

Trains in Italy

I am going to Italy in the Fall. As part of our itinerary, we are taking a couple trains. I am doing some online research right now for buying train tickets. Neither one of us has taken a train in Europe before. I am looking at ordering the tickets on Rail Europe, and I have two questions:

1. When I purchase the ticket through Rail Europe, will they email me the electronic ticket? Or will they give me a registration number that I will need to use to pick up the tickets at the station?
  2. If I need to pick up the tickets at the station and there are multiple connections, can I get all tickets at the first station?
  3. Is 14 minutes enough time between a connection to board a train? It would be at Pisa station.

Grazie!

Posted by
23177 posts

First off -- avoid buying single tickets from Rail Europe - buy direct from the national rail site - trenitalia. RE is travel agency that does not sell all ticket or sometimes does not have access to the discount tickets. Also RE may not show all of the schedules either since they only show schedules for tickets they sell. AND --- In Italy do not buy Regionale train tickets on-line as they come with more restrictions. Regrionale tickets should be bought locally in the station, at a ticket machine, or travel agency.

1. In Italy it is a printout of the ticket.

2. 14 minutes is a lifetime for connections especially in small stations.

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks! I did compare the tickets to the Trenitalia website, and I did not see a big difference in price with the particular trains I am interested in. I am a little more concerned about how I get the tickets. If possible, I would like to have the tickets emailed to me beforehand so I don't need to stand in line. Any insight on whether Trenitalia or Rail Europe does this?

Posted by
11247 posts

Trains in Italy are easy.

Do not buy from Rail Europe. You will pay more. Please tell us, what trips you are planning by train and we can give you more specifics, but in general, if you buy direct from www.trenitalia.com it will cost less than Rail Europe. If you will be on high speed routes to major cities, you can buy up to 120 days in advance and save money as long as your plans do not change as the tickets are non-refundable.

For the Pisa trip (to where?) you will be on a Regional train and no advance purchase is necessary. Just buy at the station when you are ready to go. In fourteen minutes you can easily change trains.

You will be able to print out your own tickets at home if you buy in advance for a high speed route. Or of course you can buy in Italy at the station. No discounts for same day purchases on the high speed trains.

Do you have Rick Steves Italy guidebook? He demystifies Italian train travel. But you can come back to the Forum and tell us what your routes are and we can be very specific.

Posted by
23177 posts

As I posted earlier, in Italy it is a printout on your home computer. No mailing of tickets.

Posted by
267 posts

We always buy our tickets directly from the Trenitalia website. I have always been able to print our tickets at time of purchase. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
2487 posts

I did not see a big difference in price
You should not compare the price shown on the Trenitalia site for a train for today or tomorrow, but for your actual travelling day. Then you'll see that advance-bought tickets can be considerable cheaper for the high-speed Frecce and Intercity trains. For regional trains just buy your tickets at the station.
Alternative for buying with Trenitalia is Trainline. They are an agent of a number of European railway companies, among which Trenitalia, and offer all connections including the cheap advance-bought tickets at exactly the same price.

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks for all the quick and insightful replies. I will probably end of buying through Trenitalia after everyone's feedback. I do have the RS Italy book and I found the section on trains. You were right! Very helpful. I was having trouble figuring out the difference between the different types of trains but I feel much better now.

Posted by
4756 posts

Neither one of us has taken a train in Europe before.

Since you have no experience with European trains, I'd recommend following the advice given by previous posters. There is an excellent site with extensive information on using trains. It's a very good tutorial for newbies: https://www.seat61.com

Posted by
10 posts

Follow up question: I am looking at tickets on the Trenitalia website and looking at "super economy" tickets. I don't see anything any where about luggage and what is included. Each person I am traveling with will have a carry on size buy and thats it. I assume that is fine, correct?

Posted by
8889 posts

Sandra, about luggage, read this webpage on the Man in Seat 61 website: https://www.seat61.com/luggage-on-european-trains.htm
"I don't see anything any where about luggage and what is included." - that is because there is nothing to include. Everything is hand luggage, with no limits.
There is no check-in, you walk straight off the street to your train, and get in. You alone are responsible for carrying your luggage through the station, onto the train and stowing. Nobody will help you, or tell you you have too much luggage.
You can bring as much as you can carry. The critical phrase being "as you can carry".

Posted by
4756 posts

Trains are not like planes. You can't check bags, you have to carry on all of your luggage. The only practical restriction is that you have to be able to manage your bags yourself, regardless of size. Carry on size bags fit into the overhead racks. Larger suitcases are stored in the larger racks at either end of each car.

Posted by
7124 posts

The seat61 site that has been mentioned is very helpful. You could also do a search on YouTube to picture exactly what happens. In the train station, the reader board will show the next trains. Don’t panic if you don’t see your next town; look at the train number because it’s showing the farthest destination point. The board will update with the exact track number usually about 10 -15 minutes before the train is arriving. Walk to your train car number, board, and locate your seat number. Carry on luggage can fit on a shelf above your head, similar to overhead space on an airplane. Larger luggage must go in the space at the end of your train car.

The train system is very easy, and you’ll be comfortable, too, once you walk through it. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
7124 posts

Should have added- the Super Economy tickets are a great price. Once those are sold, you will have to buy the more expensive tickets. So once you know exactly which time you want to travel, purchase those. Super Economy tickets can’t be exchanged, though. I like to travel in the morning taking the latest train that would get me to the next location by 1pm, and the next hotel will typically hold my suitcase while I’m exploring or having lunch.

Posted by
374 posts

Also consider Italo, a private train. The cities they serve a limited compared to Trenitalia, but the trains are nice, competitive prices and sometimes the times are more convenient.

Posted by
23177 posts

.... I don't see anything any where about luggage..... There is nothing to see. All train cars will have a luggage storage bin near the entrance to the car. Most but all cars will have overhead racks in the car above seats that will hold carry on size luggage easily or day bags. And some cars will have back to back seating that creates a small storage area between the two seats backs. Sort of A shaped. You are absolute free to carry on as much luggage as you like 'cause no one checking for weight or number of pieces. Although that is not generally recommended.