Please sign in to post.

Trains in Italy

I will be traveling from cinque terre, Florence, Venice, Rome in a couple of weeks and would like to confirm that it is cheaper to but individual tickets rather than a rail pass. I also am wondering if I need to book my train tickets in advance for for these trips? Thank you

Posted by
8700 posts

Point-to-point tickets should be cheaper than a pass. If you travel from the Cinque Terre to Florence on Regionale trains, the fare will be €13.90. Open seating and no discount for advance booking. Florence-Venice on a high-speed train: You've waited too long to get the Super Economy fare (€19.00), but you probably still can get the Economy fare (29.00). Book now at trenitalia.com. The Base (standard) 2nd class fare is €45.00. Venice-Rome on a high-speed train: You've waited too long to get the Super Economy fare (39.00), but you probably still can get the Economy fare (49.00). The Base 2nd class fare is €80.00.

Posted by
6898 posts

Amanda, you don't need a railpass for Italy. It's not as convenient as you may think. Italy charges a 10Euro supplemental fee for each fast train you will be on. Trains between Florence, Venice and Rome are most likely the high-speed Frecci trains. You actually do not have a seat reservation on these trains until you pay the supplemental fee. How are you getting to the CT? If to and from Florence, most of these trains, including the trains within the CT are Regionale trains. You can't buy in advance. No seat reservations permitted. Fares are very cheap on these trains. If you can nail down your precise travel dates and time for Florence, Venice and Rome, you can buy your tickets in advance. Aside from the ordinary fares, nice discounted fares are available in advance if you are willing to accept non-refundable tickets.

Posted by
7569 posts

You can figure that a day of travel on a rail pass will run you about $60, plus many faster trains in Italy require an additional reservation fee, another $10 or so. Maybe your pass would pay well for the Venice/Rome leg, but all other legs of your itinerary can likely be ticketed for less than $60. Italy just is not a good country for rail passes, cities are too close together and point to point tickets too cheap.