Please sign in to post.

Trains

Hi, I'm planning a trip to Provence in May of 2010 and I will be traveling solo. My tentative plan is to buy a Flexipass (in February) and take the TGV from de Gaulle airport to Avignon. From there i would take the local trains from town to town probably ending up in Aix where I would take the TGV back to Paris for a few nights.

I understand that TGV require reservations which would seem to negate the flexibility of the pass to some extent. I am concerned as to what the consequences would be if I were to miss the TGV due to a flight delay, or some such, or, just want to make a change.

Am i approaching this in the right way and can I catch the TGV at the airport easily enough?

Thanks,
Geoff

Posted by
80 posts

Keep in mind SNCF is limiting the number of passholder reservations on each TGV train. You MAY have to reserve a few days in advance to get the train you want. Don't count on walking up to the station 30 minutes before departure and getting the reservation, even if tickets are still available for purchase.

Since this limits your flexibility, it may be better to just nail down the dates and times of TGV travel and get the special advance purchase (non-changeable) fares off the website.

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks. My thoughts exactly. I think I'll be able to nail things down in time.

This is my first time traveling solo and using the train system and it's a little nerve wracking having to coordinate plane, train and hotel reservations. I've decided to pare down the number of towns to visit from seven to five, as I prefer to settle in a place for a while rather than packing up and traveling every other day.

Rick says that the Flexipass is less than a round trip ticket from Paris to Avignon (though my return will likely be from Aix). I am tentatively planning on five to six travel days. My plan is to use the TGV for the longer trips from Paris to Provence and back, and use the regional trains from town to town while in Provence. Though the TGV does run to most of these towns, I don't want to deal with reservations on the shorter trips, but, want the flexibility to leave a day early or a day later if i so choose. Now, though, I'm reading that reservations may be required on regional trains as well ! Regarding the pass; I do like the idea of having my one ticket to cover all of the train travel in my pock upon my arriving in France. Sorry to be long winded.

Geoff

Posted by
8700 posts

A three-day 2nd class pass with three additional days costs $415 (€290).

Booking well in advance (up to three months allowed) can get you cheap discount fares on TGVs. For example, the standard 2nd class fare for CDG-Avignon is €103, but the cheapest Prem's fare is €25. The same fares apply for Aix-Paris. Prem's tickets are non-exchangeable and non-refundable so you have to be able to commit to specific departure dates and times.

Booking CDG-Avignon and Aix-Paris in advance at www.tgv-europe.com and buying your other tickets as you go could be cheaper than a pass. And you'd still have flexibility for your shorter rides. To keep the site in English and to avoid being bumped to the Rail Europe site which doesn't offer discount fares, choose Great Britain as your country of residence. If you get a Prem's fare, you print the ticket yourself. For all other fares you can pick up your ticket at any SNCF station or boutique (ticket shop) in France.

No reservations are possible on regional trains. You jump on any train and grab any available seat. The tgv-europe site shows timetables and fares for all trains in France, not just TGVs.

Posted by
10 posts

Tim: Great information. As I have recently become qualified for senior discounts (yikes!) I'll go 1st class with the discount. Thanks.

Posted by
55 posts

Hi Geoff,

I travelled through France on an Interrail pass a couple of years ago. There were no spaces left on the TGV from Paris, but I boarded anyway. With a little bit of to and fro and a small charge from the conductor, he let me pass. I was charged/fined about 20 EUR, which was quite reasonable from Paris - Niort. I'm not suggesting that this is a wise thing to do, but in a pinch, if you have some French, you'll realise that the French can be 'flexible'.

Mark

Posted by
10 posts

Mark:

I'm sure you're right and I'm sure I'm overly concerned. I know from past experience there are always ways to work through these things. Many years ago I rode your trains in the UK (all be it with my late wife who never worried about these things) and got around just fine.
I'll plan ahead as much as I can and come what may.

Thanks,
Geoff