Please sign in to post.

Trains

Hi Friends,
My husband and 2 teens and I will be in Rome, Positano, Florence, Venice and back to Rome. Our trip starts May 28th and we are in each city for 4 days. My question is how do we get from town/region the fastest? Thanks!

Posted by
23572 posts

Think you answered your own question - train.

Posted by
20979 posts

Here are the times on high speed express trains, Rome-Salerno 2 hours, Rome-Florence 1.5 hours, Florence-Venice 2 hours. If you don't have your air yet, consider flying into Rome and out of Venice (or vice versa). That will save one whole train run.

Posted by
32329 posts

Lisa, > Rome to Positano - Freccia (Trenitalia) from Roma Termini OR Italo from Roma Tiburtina to Napoli Centrale, Circumvesuviana to Sorrento and then Bus to Positano. > Positano to Florence - Bus from Positano to Sorrento, Circumvesuviana from there to Napoli Centrale and then either Freccia or Italo fast trains to Firenze SMN. > Florence to Venice - Freccia or Italo from Firenze SMN to Venezia Santa Lucia. > Venice to Rome - Freccia from Venezia SL to Roma Termini OR Italo from Venezia SL to Roma Tiburtina. Those are the methods I'd use on the routes you mentioned. Happy travels!

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks so much Sam! We have never been before and I booked air in and out of Rome not having a clue but trying to find our way now with this site. I appreciate your help, very kind of you.

Posted by
1175 posts

The train tickets go on sale 90 days prior to travel. I signed up on the Trenitalia website and my practice bookings go a lot smoother than when I was not a member. You might start now to see what the prices will be for the legs of your trip and how best to book them. We always fly into and out of the same city rather than book it open jaw. European cities have a lot to offer and we make good use of a second visit, to Rome in this case. we're going this fall. Many prefer the open jaw but we just never have.

Posted by
4412 posts

Hey, Lisa, I want to invite you to the Sacramento Area Helpline get-togethers! We meet the 3rd Saturday of every month (next mtg is April 20) at 10:00 am at the Panera Bread Natomas location: Panera Bread 3571 North Freeway Blvd. Sacramento
Take I-80 and use the Truxel exit. (Ulta, Barnes & Noble, Target, Mimi's Cafe, BJ's, etc) Bring any questions you have, and/or your guidebooks, maps, itineraries, etc. Most of us have been to these locations several times each, so we can share whatever insights we have. Bring your family, too, if they're interested; if they get bored, there's always B&N, Fry's, etc...! There's a reminder announcement in the 'General Europe' section of the Helpline every month about one week before the 3rd Sat. No need to sign up or anything - just show up! If you want maximum savings, book your train tickets ASAP! Use Trenitalia.Com; click on the English flag at the top of the page. With 4 of you, the savings can be substantial - all of your gelato could be 'free' ;-)

Posted by
4 posts

You have all been a great source of information and I can't thank you enough for your wisdom and time, unreal! Eileen, I thank you so much for the invite and will try to make it before or after! Thank you friends for everything!

Posted by
4412 posts

We like pictures and trip reports* ;-) Some of us can't get to Europe in the foreseeable future (sniffle), so we live vicariously through those who do. *(not major Power Point presentations complete with changes of costumes, just a simple 'this is where we went, this is what we did, and we liked/didn't like it!')

Posted by
1175 posts

Lisa,
Be sure and use the Italian names for the cities--Roma, Venezia, Firenza -- or Trenitalia won't accept your booking attempts. Be sure also and chose the best train station for arrival as there are several in each city. Roma Termini, Venezia Santa Lucia, and Firenza S.M. Novella are the central train stations. Other stations are not in the city centers.

Posted by
4 posts

Hi All, just a note to thank you ALL for the wealth of info. We got back last week and it was amazing! I booked only Rome to Naples in advance as we did not want to be restricted on our time. It was actually 10€ more for the four of us doing it that way, as my children rec'd discounts, ie; students under 24 yrs. Can't wait to go back! Thanks again!