Please sign in to post.

trains

need to get from florence to postiano italy. i know there is train service from florence to naples,( is it local or fast train)and what is best for the
remainder of the trip to get to postiano?

Posted by
15144 posts

FI SMN - NA C.LE: Freccia Train (fast train under 3 hrs) NA C.LE - SORRENTO: Circumvesuviana Train (Commuter train - 70 min) SORRENTO - POSITANO: SITA bus (bus - 40 min) Alternatively you can take a boat from either Naples or Salerno. To get to Salerno you proceed on the train from Naples to Salerno. I think the boat is a nicer option, but it depends on when you go. In winter they don't operate boats.

Posted by
32198 posts

shelley s, The method listed by Roberto is the quickest and most direct way on that route. In case you aren't familiar with the abbreviations..... > Firenze SMN to Napoli Centrale > Napoli Centrale (Garibaldi station downstairs from the main station) to Sorrento via the Circumvesuviana commuter train > Sorrento to Positano as shown above. As I recall, you can use either Trenitalia (Freccia trains) or the new Italo from Florence to Naples. Both are high speed. From Naples to Sorrento, you'll have to use the slower Circumvesuviana (be sure to watch your luggage closely on that, and wear a Money Belt). Happy travels!