Please sign in to post.

Train vs. plane

We are traveling from Amsterdam to Prague to begin our RS Prague-Budapest tour next month. Do we fight the crowds at Schipol for a 1.5 hour flight, or take a 15-hour overnight train (not a sleeper car)? The price seems a toss-up since we won’t be using a hotel room in Amsterdam for one night.

Posted by
2288 posts

If you're making a same day plane connection @ Schipol - pretty easy choice in my mind.

Posted by
3159 posts

Take the plane. 15 hours even in a sleeper is torture.

Posted by
10206 posts

We flew from Amsterdam in May and it was a nightmare. Even so it’s better than 15 hours on a train. Allow more time than you think you need at the airport and it should be fine.

Posted by
14503 posts

No problem at all. My choice would be to take the 15 hour night train Amsterdam to Prague with one change in Regensburg at 5 AM, even if you with only a 30 mins. break, (one hour would be better as the schedule in August is....one of advantages of summer travel.) The vendors in Regensburg Hbf start to open up at 5 AM, not all, but some.

Posted by
3993 posts

Fly!! Time is too valuable. As was said up thread, 15 hours on a train is torture.

Posted by
1802 posts

Fly. No way I’m spending 15 hours on a train. An exception would be if I’m stopping for one or more nights along the way. I’d just opt for an early morning nonstop flight. I find they tend to be on time and less likely to be canceled.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks everyone! The FLYS have it (including a vote from Pat at RickSteves Central. I booked a flight this morning. If I could have reserved a sleeper car....

Posted by
14503 posts

@ Kathy.....Good that you got your preferred choice. On booking a sleeper car, you can bet this option will be booked up, or just about by Europeans choosing this 15 hour ride. That sleeper option does sell out. Before DB dropped its City Night Line routes in Dec 2015, the "sleeper" (Schlafwagen), the most expensive option, was the always the first to sell out, which tells me lots of travelers were willing to pay the high price for this piece of luxury. I never took this option. Sitting in the general seating area was satisfactory enough.

I've not taken a night train this long, not recently that is, My first trip I did Vienna to Amsterdam in 1971, direct by night train, likewise going 22 hours, as scheduled, from North Sweden to Malmo. That time I opted for a sleeper, just to try it....it was OK, never did that again when riding a night train since I didn't need it.

Posted by
226 posts

As long as you can get a private sleeper then the train overnight or First Class seats with meals on the train. If not then fly