Please sign in to post.

train vs car

We are planning a family trip to Italy in April, and we'll be staying in Cortona for two weeks and taking day trips from there. I was planning on doing everything by train, but some people have mentioned that it may be easier to rent a car for some of the smaller hillside towns. I am just wary of car rental companies and all the risks of renting a car in Europe. Is it possible to use only rail and still make it to the smaller hillside towns?
Thanks!

Posted by
10557 posts

We recently spent 3 weeks in Italy. We rented a car for 4 days of that time. That was in Tuscany. I can't imagine spending 2 weeks in Tuscany doing day trips by train. For one thing, you can't get to most hill towns by train. You could take buses, but it will be very limiting and time consuming. Tuscany is the one place in Italy that a car is recommended. What are the risks of renting a car in Europe? People do it every day.

Posted by
492 posts

The train station is not walking distance, well maybe down the hill, what other places to you plan to visit? We spent 4 nights in Cortona and were very happy to have a car for our day trips. I would consider grouping your day trips and a car rental for at least some days, but it depends on where you are planning on visiting. We were able to visit Siena and San Gimigiano both in one day with a car and Montalcino/Pienza/Montepulciano in one day with a car as well. Assisi might be better by train, Florence definitely better by train, if you plan on some days of hill towns and others of cities, then group the hill town days together and get the car for x number of days. The local Cortona rental agency will even deliver the car.