Please sign in to post.

Train vs car

We have four days to travel from Munich to Rothenburg/staying one night. On to Koblenz and spend 3 nights along the Rhine/Moselle rivers. In the long run, do you think it is better to rent a car or take the train? We would start and stop in Munich. Trying to compare cost vs time saved.

Thanks!

Posted by
20254 posts

I'd vote for train. How many are traveling? There are lots of deals for traveling by train. I'd only take a car if I could not get to a destination on a train. Just my preference maybe. But the spots you mentioned have frequent rail service.

Posted by
22 posts

Thanks Sam!

Only two of us. We will be traveling end of Sept. What type of train travel deals should we look for?

Posted by
20254 posts

Bayern ticket. Travel after 9 am week days, or anytime weekends for 27 euro for the 2 of you. That will get you from Munich to Rothenburg. You can't use any high speed trains with this ticket, but the distances are short enough it is no big deal. It is good all over the state of Bavaria. You can travel from there to Koblenz either with an advance purchase (nonrefundable) 49 euro for 2 or spur of the moment with a QDL ticket(again after 9 am, no high speed trains) for 52 euro weekdays, or with a Schoenes Weekend ticket 44 euro Saturday or Sunday anytime. In Koblenz, get a VRM minigroup ticket which gives 3 days unlimited travel for 44 euro or there about. It covers trains south to St Goar, north to Remagen, and along the Mosel to Bullay, plus buses.
Heading back to Munich there are 81 euro for 2 on direct Euro Cities train. That one is advanced purchase nonrefundable. Using the QDL or Weekend is 3 hours longer journey due to more changes and slower trains.
All at www.bahn.com. look under "Offers" and "Travel in Germany". The Bayern ticket is a Laender ticket.

Posted by
8171 posts

When you're at Koblenz, you're about 300 miles out of Munich--each way. My question is whether such a long trip is worth it for such a short time frame?

I've stayed at Koblenz once and nearby @ Bacharach twice.

You have not said what other sights you're going to see around Munich, but my 3-4 days would be spent in the incredibly beautiful Austrian Alps 100 miles south of Munich and east to Salzburg.