Please sign in to post.

train travel Switzerland

9 days in Switzerland, Zurich/Bern/Interlaken/Lucerne/Zurick - with day trips to Gimmelwald, Jungfrau etc. We are 2 senior ladies, happy to travel 2nd class. We want the most economical way to do this with complete flexibility around days and times of travel. Have looked at many websites and it's all very confusing. We thought perhaps the half fare card looks like it offers the most flexibility. Any advice on what options would be suitable for us would be appreciated.
Thanks

Posted by
6898 posts

Lorraine, with the travel you are doing in Switzerland and especially your trip up to the Jungfrau, it does make sense to buy a Swiss 1/2 fare card. The cost is 120CHF. It's good for 30 days on all Swiss transportation (trains, gondolas, boats, buses, etc.) and it does what its name says. 1/2 fare. This includes the round trip up to the Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn. The savings on the trip to the Jungfraujoch pays for most of the card. The normal fare is about 190CHF (213AUD). 1/2 fare is 95CHF (107AUD). You can buy the 1/2 fare card at the first staffed Swiss station you encounter when entering Switzerland. I believe that there is a way to buy it in advance online but I don't know this method. I've always purchased at the first station.