Please sign in to post.

Train Travel Italy

I am going to Italy in Sept and would like to know how much it would cost to travel from North to south by train and then ferry from Capri to Sicily? What is the most economical way to do this and roughly how much does a pass cost if there is such a thing?

Posted by
683 posts

Do yourself a favor and buy point-to-point tix in Italy. It is usually far cheaper than any rail pass.
Without knowing from where in the north you will travel, it is hard to advise you. There will not be huge price differentials on different routes but be aware that 2d class tix will be cheaper and that Eurostars will be more expensive. For info on prices and such, visit the Trenitalia website
BTW- to our knowledge, Sicily ferries go from Naples and Rome but not Capri

Posted by
5 posts

thank you.
I will look up the website you gave me and compare prices

Posted by
1358 posts

I agree that point2point tickets will be cheaper. Dont consider the rail pass; it is almost always more costly.

Posted by
5 posts

I will be going to Venice Florence Capri Genoa Rome and Sicily - do you think i should buy a rail pass or ticket from station to station?

Posted by
6898 posts

Carmel you really should not get a railpass for what you are doing. For one thing, each time you get on a Eurostar-category train, you will pay 18Euro extra for a seat reservation. Next, how are you getting to Capri? Coming south, you can best do this from Naples or Sorrento on the jet boat. If you choose Sorrento, you will most likely ride the Circumvesunviana train from Naples to Sorrento. Your railpass is no good on this train. Next, I don't think that there is a ferry from Capri to Sicily. You'll need to return to the mainland. I suggest that you make your way back to Naples or further south to Salerno. From those two train stations, you can take the train to Sicily (including crossing the water). The train boards a ship for the crossing.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks Larry,
I've had 3 same responses to this. Looks like I wont be getting the rail pass, I'll just get a ticket as I go along.

Carmel