Please sign in to post.

Train travel Italy

We will be travelling from Venice to Monterosso, to Florence, to Sorrento, snd finally to Rome in Sept. I found all of the trains we need to take and the times on trenitalia.com. My question is : Is there any advantage to buying my tickets now through that website or just wait until I get to a city and buy the tickets for the next city. It does appear that I can get assigned seats even in Second Class. I don't know if I will be able to get that if I just buy them at the train station. Thanks for any help you can provide. Carlene

Posted by
6898 posts

For the cities you have listed, the trains are frequent throughout the day. You can easily get the train tickets when you get there. You will pay full fare as opposed to possibly getting discounted tickets in advance online. By the way, the train from Naples to Sorrento is not a Trenitalia train. When you arrive at Naples Centrale on the Trenitalia train, you go downstairs to the Circumvesuviana train station and take the local train from there.

Posted by
8700 posts

Larry referred to booking in advance on the Trenitalia site to get discount fares. I'll use Venice-Monterosso as an example. The standard 2nd class fare for a high-speed train from Venice to Milan is €36.00. The Super Economy fare is €9.00. The standard 2nd class fare for an IC train from Milan to Monterosso is €23.00. The Super Economy fare is €9.00. All seats are reserved on these trains. Discount fare tickets are for a specific departure date and time and are not exchangeable or refundable. If you take any Regionale trains, no reservations are possible and your ticket is good on any train. The price never changes so there is no advantage to booking in advance.