Please sign in to post.

Train Travel in Italy

We are headed to Italy next month! I'm a bit confused about train travel. We will be travelling from Rome to Florence, Florence to Vernazza, and then Vernazza to Milan. Is it smart to buy tickets for all of these before we go on the Trenitalia website or purchase at a kiosk once we are there? I have heard that buying a ticket ahead of time doesn't save much time once you are at the station. I was also reading on the helpline that there could be a price difference if we bought before we go or if we buy there. Someone was indicating that it is more expensive to buy once you get there. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Posted by
23314 posts

There are discounted fares available for everything but the regional trains. The number of discounted fares are limited and must be purchased at least 24 hours in advance. Therefore, you best chance at the discount fares is via the web as early as possible. However, if that fare is still available when you get to the station you can purchase it. Full fare prices are the same at the station or on the web. Discount fares have restrictions and should you miss the train or want to change the ticket is dead. If you are the type that wants everything locked down, then buy the fares on via the web. If you value flexibility, then wait.

Posted by
864 posts

I always buy my tickets on-line. I've got a travel plan and know when I want to go where. Buying on-line lets me pick the most efficient day/time/travel duration route that suits my needs. Yes, it is more expensive. Given the overall price of the trip it's smoke in the wind. For longer routes I do like knowing I have an assigned seat. The downside is the tickets are not fully refundable once you get close to the travel dates and there is an administrative fee to do so. Just one more thing not to have to be hassled with. Really only works well with firm itineraries.

Posted by
1219 posts

Hi Lisa. It's a matter of personal preference (save money vs. locked in to exact date/time). Here's my advice: Rome to Florence, - go to the trenitalia website for the date you want and see how much you would save & decide if it's worth it. Base fare is the full price that you could easily buy when there. Mini is the price you can buy now online. If you're only saving a few euros, just wait til you get there since your plans could change. Florence to Vernazza - definitely buy when there; these are regional trains, not possible / practical / no reason to buy online.
Vernazza to Milan - you can buy the intercity portion (i.e. Levanto to Milan) online, but little savings; suggest wait and buy when there.

Posted by
23314 posts

Not sure what Marie is referring to when she states that it is more expensive to buy on-line. Maybe true with other countries rail lines for not true for Italy. Except for discount tickets all fares on line are the same as walk up/day of purchase for Italian trains which is what the original question was about. All trains tickets in Italy, except for Regional, come with the required seat reservation. So you will always have seat regardless of when you purchase. All regional trains are open seating and you cannot make a reservation. Just get on and grab the first seat you like. Don't put your luggage on the seat next to you or on the seat across from you. That is very rude.

Posted by
2207 posts

Lisa, it sounds confusing but it's really quite easy. It's a little like buying an airline ticket in the States - well, sort of. As explained, there is a BASE price that NEVER changes. Whether you buy in advance or buy 10 minutes before the train leaves the station, the BASE price will never change. The MINI ticket is one of the current discounted specials. You can buy these tickets, and save some money, in advance online -or- at a train station in Italy up until midnight BEFORE the date of your travel. So if you have an 08:00 train, you could still get a MINI (if available) at 23:00 the night before. Like Airline tickets in the USA, the dollar amount of the discount and number of MINI tickets available for sale is controlled by the vendor - in Italy, it's Trenitalia. Unfortunately, MINI tickets are not available for Regionale trains - the commuter or local lines. And these Regionale tickets can only be bought online 7 days in advance. Since there's open seating (no seat reservations), there's really no need to buy these online anyway. You can also buy a Regionale ticket at a train station or travel agent two months in advance! You do have to validate Regionale tickets. When in doubt, validate! You might read these articles for some assistance on trains in Italy, the MINI discount, and purchasing online. After you've been on a train in Italy once or twice, you'll be a veteran! Riding Trains in Italy, Booking a Ticket in Advance on the Trenitalia Website , and the Trenitalia MINI promotion.

Posted by
26 posts

Thanks everyone for all of your help. I went ahead and purchased our Rome to Florence ticket online to get the MINI price. Our itinerary is pretty firm so I felt confident doing this. Thanks for the advice about the regional trains as well! Lisa