Please sign in to post.

Train travel in Italy

Thanks for all the info, it's very helpful. I'm using the DBahn web site to plan my European trip. I have also read the Eurail page about what trains require reservation. It also says you can make your reservations on-line when planning your trip but all the posting people say it will be more expensive to do that, it's cheaper when you get there. True or False? So when I get there and am picking a schedule that changes trains 2 or 3 times I have to make a reservation for each train before I even board the first one because of the very limited transfer time inbetween trians? So if we stop at a place in the middle and I have a transfer time of 10 minutes I would like to stay for a couple of hours but I have reservations already to go 1 more change, does this mean I'm locked into this and will loose the money I paid for the reservation? Or do I have to stand in line to get a refund or change it? The Eurail page list what trains have to have reservations list it like this Eurostar Italia Italy Supplement Yes
Reservation 18 Euros I'm a little confused is there a supplement fee in addition to the reservation or does that mean the supplement fee is for the reservation? It doesn't mention the Intercity Italian trains but they too require reservation, Correct? If I understand the longer the train ride the more you pay for the reservation, Correct? I wanted the rail pass for the freedom to get on and off the trains when I wanted, I'm finding this is not the case. Thanks in advance for any information it is very helpful. I'm trying to plan within a budget, it's getting more difficult.

Posted by
23568 posts

I though the supplement fee was same regardless of how you book it. Paragraph 2 -- yes. You will pay a fee for each leg. So if you want to do that then just make the reservation as you go. Technically speaking it is a supplement fee which includes the reservation. Unfortunately we tend to call it a seat reservation when it is really a supplement fee to ride that train. The fee is one time and not related to distance. In Italy it varies by train. I think the IC is only 3E. The faster trains are more. There are no reservations and no fee for the Regional train. You are learning why nearly all of us discourage the use of the pass. Especially in Italy it is very difficult to break even and impossible if you take advantage of the mini fares. Have you read the answers to your earlier question? They cover this subject very well.

Posted by
8700 posts

While Eurail lists a reservation fee of €18 for EuroStar Italia trains, if you buy them in Italy they will cost €10. As Frank said, the in-Europe reservation fee for IC trains is €3. Yes, if you are taking a route with short connection times and using any trains that require reservations, you will want to buy those reservations before boarding the first train. I don't know if you can get a refund on a seat reservation. I think you might be able to change one, but don't hold me to that. The people at Budget Europe Travel Service would know. Call their toll-free number. Their advice is both friendly and free.