Please sign in to post.

Train travel in Italy

We are planning a trip to Cinque Terre at the end of May 2012. our next stop is going to be Venice. We have the option of traveling either on a Sunday or Monday. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the two days? I wonder if trains tend to be more booked with locals on the weekends? Any suggestions about the route? What is the best website to use for looking up train schedules and cost?

Posted by
32327 posts

Judy, It would help if you could provide more information on where you'll be prior to your visit to the Cinque Terre? I never worry about whether I'm travelling on a weekend or weekday. The trains will be busier on some days, but I've never had a problem getting a seat. The best website to use for rail trips in Italy is The Italian Rail website. Click the "English" flag at the top (I normally just use Italian when I'm using the site). One point to note is that they will NOT have schedules posted for May 2012 yet. if you research a trip on the same day of the week you'll be travelling, there shouldn't be any significant differences between now and next May. I'm not quite clear on your meaning of "suggestions about the route"??? Could you clarify? Cheers!

Posted by
7 posts

Ken, thanks for your reply. We are coming, by train, from Florence. By route, I guess the way we get from CT (monterosso) to Venice will depend on what time we catch the train. I see that some go through Milan, and some through Florence.

Posted by
23568 posts

The only difference is that generally there are fewer trains on Sunday. Trains in Italy rarely if ever sell out. The ONLY advantage to booking early is the potential for discount but that you lock you into a schedule. Miss a train and your ticket could be worthless. The schedule for May will not be available until March or April. You take the route that gives you the best departure and arrival time. For schedules the bahn.de site is very easy to use but you would have to buy the tickets through the trenitalia.com site.

Posted by
32327 posts

Judy, As you noted, some of the trains on that route have two changes at Pisa and Florence, and some only one change at Milano Centrale. The time difference appears to be minimal between them. Note that your destination station in Venice will be Venezia Santa Lucia. You'll know you've arrived at the correct station if you travel over a long causeway just prior to arrival at the station. When you exit the front doors, you'll be right at the Grand Canal! Cheers!

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you for the suggestions! We are so early in our planning we now have to keep track of all these important tips. Happy travels everyone!

Posted by
6 posts

I use www.eurorailways.com for train schedules. The schedules can easily be printed so you can but a folder together of train routes for your trip. I have done this many times now (traveled to the Cinque Terra via train from Lucca about 6 weeks ago). Enjoy your trip! Vernazza is stunning! Hike to at least one other village if you can.