Please sign in to post.

Train Travel in Italy

Does travel between Venice to Florence, Florence to Cinque Terre, and Cinque Terre to Pisa count as 3 travel days on a Eurail pass? Trying to determine how many travel days in my select pass. thank you.

Posted by
1260 posts

Hi Denise. A pass day is any calendar day when you use the pass. So if you did all 3 of these trips in one day, you use 1 day of the pass. But I'm guessing you are planning these trips on 3 different days, so that would be 3 pass days. These trips are very easy and inexpensive on individual tickets; would be wasted money and extra hassle to use a pass for these trips. - For CT to Pisa, just buy your ticket at the station before boarding for about 10 euro ($13). - For Florence to CT, also buy at station - about 19 euro. - For Venice to Florence, buy just before boarding for 45 euro, or buy online in advance for 19.
To see train info, use trenitalia.com. For the first two trains, use a date within 7 days to see sample fares, as these tix are not sold in advance. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
7 posts

thank you! Does that include the Venice to Florence also? I was told you have to make reservations for that trip. Just trying to determine the travel days, we are going from Amsterdam to Bacharach (1 day), Bacharach to Interlaken (1 day) Interlaken to Venice (1 day), Venice to Florence, Florence to Cinque Terre, anc Cinque Terre to Pisa. Someone told me I have 6 travel days, but I think it's just 4. Also, we start our train travel on 5/14, is it too early to buy the eurail pass? Not sure how I could get a discounted pass.

Posted by
1260 posts

Hi Denise. I revised my first post to add some more info for the Italy trips. For those, Venice to Florence is the only one you may want to buy ahead - depends on whether you are willing to lock in to a date and time. In any case, don't use a Eurail pass for the Italy trips. I'll let others provide advice for your other trips. Sounds like a great trip - enjoy!

Posted by
19240 posts

If you go from Venice to Florence to Cinque Terre to Pisa in a single day, then it only uses one day of your rail pass, but that is a lot of travel for one day, without much time in any place. BTW, Cinque Terre is an area, not a stop. I agree that a rail pass is probably not warranted. With advance purchase you can get inexpensive discounted tickets for Amsterdam to Bacharach and Bacharach to Interlaken online from the German Rail (Bahn) website.

Posted by
7 posts

We would be doing Interaken to Venice in one day, Venice to Florence in another day, and Florence to Cinque Terre in another day, not all in one day.