Please sign in to post.

train travel in Italy

1. going from Rome to Orvieto. Hope to take day trips from Orvieto to say, Todi, Civita, maybe Spoleto, or does anyone have a suggestion? The best way to get there from Orvieto, train, bus, rent a car? 2. Have a 11:35 flight from Rome home to Chicago. Best way to get to airport in enough time, say 2-3 hoiurs ahead, from Orvieto. 3. Terrific restaurants in Orvieto as that is my base and has anyone stayed at Hotel Duomo? Thanks in advance, barry ,
Barry

Posted by
32219 posts

Barry, A few comments on your questions..... 1.) I'm not sure about day trips to Todi or Spoleto, but a day trip to Civita di Bagnoregio is certainly a possibility. That trip will take at least six hours (the better part of a day), once transportation is included. The trip is described in the Guidebook. As I recall, you'll take the blue Cotral Bus to Bagnoregio and then transfer to the Shuttle to reach the base of the bridge at Civita. 2.) You shouldn't have any trouble getting to FCO from Orvieto in time to connect with your flight (unless there are any "transportation issues" of course). Travel time is ~2 hours, with one change at Roma Tiburtina, and departures starting at about 05:00. 3.) I haven't stayed at Hotel Duomo, so have no comments. I had an excellent meal one night at Ristorante L'Antica Rupe (Vicolo Sant'Antonio, 2/A). Happy travels!

Posted by
11356 posts

You can do it all by bus or train, but it will take extra time. Spoleto is an hour and a half from Orvieto by train, but I don't think you can get to Todi by train. We spent 5 days in Spello and used exclusively trains and busses. It was good, but we could not go everywhere easily enough. Next time I would rent a car to make it more efficient and flexible. Also, for departure day, you might find it best to have a car. A late train or a transportation strike could compromise getting to FCO on time. I am not a big fan of car trvel in Italy, but there are places and times it works best.

Posted by
32219 posts

Barry, If you decide to rent a Car, be sure to do some research on the "issues" with driving in Italy. If you need further information, post another note.