Please sign in to post.

Train Travel In Italy

My son and I will be in Italy the last week of May till June 4th. Starting in Venice then to Florence, then to Sorrento and ending in Rome. I am trying to decide between a rail pass or buying individual tickets. Any suggestions or experiences? Thank You

Posted by
964 posts

Have a look at that website, 'The Man in seat 61'. Excellent site. I heard about it on here and just got the book last week.
Have a nice trip!

Posted by
23301 posts

Without doing the homework of comparing p2p with the pass, I would guess for the limited trips the p2p would be cheaper and especially if you took advantage of the early purchase discounts. Then there is no question that p2p is cheaper.

Posted by
4407 posts

If you want to purchase tickets from Trenitalia but the website is being fussy, try them.

Posted by
295 posts

We spent 7 weeks in Italy last summer. Point to point is easy, and far cheaper. There are numerous machines in the stations, even small stations. They have instructions in English and accept US credit cards. There's usually only one or two people in front of you; it takes about two minutes to purchase a ticket. We usually purchased them upon arrival in a city for our departure, but also just arrived on the day we wanted to go and never had a problem finding a seat (first and second class). Remember to punch the tickets on the little machines at the track.

Posted by
6898 posts

Note that if you have a railpass, it won't cover the train journey from Naples to Sorrento on either the private Circumvesuviana train system or the ferry. It's only 3.5E each way on the train so you won't go broke on this one. Also, Italy will charge you a 10E supplemental fee for each Eurostar you are on. I see one between Venice and Florence, one from Florence to Naples and one back to Rome from Naples. That's 30E on top of the cost for your pass.

Posted by
91 posts

Well, again I think that the rabid fans of individual tickets are giving poor advice, arguing that point-to-point tickets is the only way to go. Yet Anthony's (and son's) simple question: pass or tickets for the rides they planned, is a classic example of the advantage of a pass. In this case, Trenitalia's Saver Pass for two persons, which costs $180 each for three days, or $60 a day. Do the math! Venice-Florence is 43 euros; Florence-Naples is 72 euros; Naples-Rome is 45 euros, for a total of 160 euro, all on the fastest trains, equal to $237 at Thursday's exchange rate of $1.48=1 euro. Adding three reservations at 10 euro each makes the overall total 190 euros, equal to $280. That's $100 more per person over the pass!!! or $200 for Anthony and his son. How can the ticket fans argue that their way is cheaper? Think about it, Anthony!

Posted by
8700 posts

Guy's math is off a bit. Seat reservations are included in the price of point-to-point tickets so the total for standard fare tickets is €160 ($237)/person. The cost of a Saver Pass plus three seat reservations is $224/person. So yes, the pass would cost less; but not much less. However, booked in advance on the Trenitalia site, Mini fares total $157/person.