Please sign in to post.

Train Travel in Italy

Hi everyone! I'm a newbie to the site. My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy in October. My question is this: How difficult is it to get a train ticket at the station to take us to our next destination? For example we will stay in Venice for 2-3 days but may not want to leave for our next destination (Florence) til that morning or late afternoon. Would we be able to be flexible? Also, we would like to check out other cities closeby to Venice, before heading to Florence. The same goes for our other 'home' cities. We will have hotels booked in our 'home' cities prior to our trip, so we will have specific days that we will be traveling to each. The reason I'm asking is that we may not have a laptop/netbook to take with us to buy tickets online and be unable to see the train schedule. Any advice is greatly appreciated! (Oh I do have R.S. Italy guidebook and understand the frequency/number of trains between cities)

Posted by
805 posts

In October, it shouldn't be any problem to get tickets either when you arrive in the cities or when you want to leave. Trains are rarely full outside of peak travel periods (October is not one of them) and so you need not worry about this.

Posted by
359 posts

you can generally buy as you go sometimes a certain time train can sell out but the trains from Venice to Florence run frequently
what many people do is buy their departure ticket upon arrival

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks for the quick replies! Buying a departure ticket on arrival is a good idea. I guess I'm a little nervous and anxious as this is our first trip outside of the US.

Posted by
8 posts

Wanda, I am also in your shoes. Going to be in Italy in April/May and I don't have a good idea how I am going to get from destination to destination. Concerned about how to get from The Cinque Terre to Paris.

Posted by
3941 posts

I can't say we ever had a problem getting point to point - the great thing - if one is full up, there's always another - peak times in big cities - 30min, to smaller places maybe every hour (unless late at night)

Posted by
8142 posts

See RoninRome.com for details on Italian train travel. He has pictures of the ticket kiosks, and page by page instructions on how work the machines. It's the same kiosks that'd be in Venice, or Florence, etc. You don't need to purchase tickets prior to leaving for Italy, as there are so many trains daily.

Posted by
32209 posts

Wanda, I'd also suggest buying your departure tickets when you arrive in each city, or at least a day or two before you'll be travelling. Pre-purchase may allow you to get the discounted "Mini" tickets. Have a look at the Ron In Rome website mentioned in another reply for details on the "Mini" tickets. It's important to note which stations you'll be using, as many cities have more than one station. For example, you'll depart from Venezia Santa Lucia and arrive at Firenze SMN (the initials refer to "Santa Maria Novella", which is the large Duomo across from the station). On many of the trips, it's likely you'll be travelling on EuroStar Italia / Alta Velocita trains, which have compulsory seat reservations. You'll have to note the Carozza (Car No.) and Posti (Seat No.) on the tickets. If you're travelling on Regionale trains (which don't require reservations) IT'S IMPORTANT that you validate your tickets in the yellow machines PRIOR to boarding the train. Failure to validate can result in expensive fines, which will be collected on the spot! For purchasing tickets in Venice, you could also use one of the Travel Agents listed in the Guidebook. That may save you a trip to the station. Happy travels!

Posted by
32209 posts

@Jean, "Concerned about how to get from The Cinque Terre to Paris." That's a LONG trip to do by train in one day, a minimum of about 12-hours, with 1 to 5 changes. Night trains are an option, but some have changes in the "wee hours of the morning" so it will be difficult to have a restful sleep. There are two options you could consider in this case: 1.) Stop at an intermediate point for at least one night, perhaps somewhere in Switzerland, and then continue to Paris. That will "break up" the rail journey into more manageable segments. The trip from Switzerland to Paris will likely be via TGV, which is VERY fast (300 kmH). 2.) Travel via budget airline to Paris. For example, you could use EasyJet from Pisa to Pary Orly (time 1H:40M, prices as low as €51.49 currently). Another option would be flights from Milan to Paris, but Pisa would be an easier choice from the Cinque Terre. A few points to note regarding budget airlines: > Early booking generally gets the best prices. > Tickets are usually non-refundable and non-changeable once booked - read the Terms & Conditions carefully! > There are usually some extra fees added (ie: for using a non-EU credit card). > Luggage limits are often restrictive. If you're travelling with checked luggage, it's better to get a good idea of the weight and pay for this at the time of booking. If they find it overweight at check-in, the cost will be higher. > In many cases, only ONE carry-on item is allowed. They usually enforce the carry-on limit. The train trip from La Spezia Centrale to Pisa Airport is about 1H:23M, with 1 change at Pisa Centrale, current cost €10.40. Happy travels!

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks everyone! I will check out the Ron in Rome website. I've been seeing that site popping up a lot on different topics. Before I check it out, what are "mini" tickets? But I guess Ron does explain that, huh? :)

Posted by
7 posts

So I've been reading Ron in Rome and now I'm getting it! I see now why it would be a good idea for me to buy my departure ticket when I arrive! So I can check for the 'mini' discount! I'm learning! lol