Please sign in to post.

train travel in Italy

We will be traveling by train from Rome to Naples, from Naples to Pompeii, from Catania to Rome, and from Venice to Paris (as separate legs on our trip). We have purchased a rail pass and are hearing that reservations are sometimes advise, sometimes required and sometimes not needed.
However when we look at the train schedule book that was sent to us with our rail passes, it appears that reservations are required for all of these trains. Are misunderstanding the information - we want to plan as needed, but prefer to not be tied to pre-arranged time schedules...and don't want to arrive in Italy and not be able to get on the train.

Posted by
805 posts

Rome to Naples and Naples to Pompeii as well don't require reservations I think (Rome to Naples is okay as long as you avoid the Eurostar or Intercity trains and Naples to Pompeii is
on the commuter line). I don't know about the other two but would suspect as both are longer trips they might well be required.

Posted by
6898 posts

In Italy, there are several categories of trains. The slowest and cheapest are called "regionale" or R trains. No seat reservations are permitted. With your validated pass, just get on a take a seat. You booklet may not show a lot of R train runs but they are truly the backbone of the Italian train system. They stop at every stop in Italy.

All other train categories will require seat reservations. This includes the ES, AV, EC, CIS, ICPlus, EN and other categories. This means that you will have to go to a ticket machine or ticket window, show your pass, pay a reservation fee and then get on the train with seat assignments. Seat assignments will be provided as part of the transaction. The reservation fee will vary between 3E-18E depending on the train category. The ES, AV and the CIS categories are the most expensive. Note also that if you reserve a "sleeper" (couchette or bed compartment) on a night train, that too will be extra.

Posted by
6898 posts

From Naples to Pompeii, you will be on the private Circumvesuviana train system. No reservations required. My question here is if your pass is good on this private system. I just don't know.

Posted by
8700 posts

A pass is NOT good on Circumvesuviana trains.