Please sign in to post.

Train travel in Italy

My wife and I will be traveling in Italy this May. This is the first time we travel by train. Some of the route we plan to take require changing train three to four time. Most schedule only allow a few minutes to get on the next one. We have the following questions. How to find the next train? Do they print you the Bin (Line) number of your train on the ticket? Is it easy to locate where the Bin (Line) is? How can I tell the direction of the train is going? Is it a way to find out the route number of the train before I get on? What happen if I miss the connection of my ticket, can I use it for the next one?
Please advise. Your help are very appreciated.

Posted by
6898 posts

First, if your are changing trains 3-4 times, you are most likely on Regionale trains. No reservations or seat assignments permitted. These are open tickets good for any train making the run for 60 days. Second, in each station, there is a paper list on the wall or behind glass that shows every train run departing that particular station. For each listing, it shows every stop that that train will make. In the larger stations, you will see electronic sign boards that list the trains, departure times and track numbers (Binario). A great difficulty for travelers is that the trains show the final destination of the train. Most often, the stop you want is on a run whose final destination you don't recognize. Thus, the use of the paper signage in the train stations. For example, if you were going to Assisi from Florence, the sign on the train could say Foligno (ours did). You would have no idea that the Foligno train was your train unless you looked at the paper charrts in the station. Third, yes you can miss a train. Some trains can run late. For some Regionale runs, they make way for the high-speeds when running on the same tracks. It's scary when you arrive in a multi-track station and you can see your departing train on the other tracks at another platform and you have to change platforms. This often requires going down about 25 stairs with your luggage, running through a tunnel under the platforms and then rapidly climbing up 25 stairs with your luggage. Been there done that. If you are on a train that require seat reservations and you miss the train, you will have to go to the agent to have your ticket changed. We can be of more assistance and informative if you tell us where you intend to travel.

Posted by
23564 posts

Generally a few minutes if you mean 10 to 15 minutes is adequate. My guess is that most of your changes will be in small stations - three to five platforms. The platform may be printed in the ticket but it needs to be confirmation because changes can occur. Exit the train and look for an announcement board listing trains and tracks. The route/train number will be on your ticket. Also print out your schedule with the train numbers. On the platform there should be another sign indicating the train, number, and maybe arrival time. The newer electronic signs give more information. The platforms are easy to find because they are in a logical order - 1,2,3, 4, or 15, 17 , 19, And if you see others standing on the platform, ask if this is the platform for "...." If they don't speak English, show them your ticket. They will be helpful. Sometimes the change is on the same platform. One train pulls out and your train pulls in behind. It varies but you will quickly learn after one or two changes. If you miss the connection it depends on your ticket. It it is an open ticket no seat reservation which most likely is a regional train then find the next regional train going in the right direction and get on. If, however, your ticket is train/seat specific have a seat reservation then you have about 90 mins to get a new seat reservation from a ticket office.

Posted by
257 posts

Hi Larry and Frank, Thank you for your time and info. It help a lot. I will be traveling from Sorrento to Nice. I will stop at Rome, Siena, CT, in between. The train route from Siena to Riomaggiore (CT) is the one I really worry about. According to the Trenitalia, I will have to change train in Empoli and also in Pisa. All the changes in Empoli only got 6 minutes. Some of the change in Pisa got 6 minutes, some got more. Also, some of the train are Regionale Veloc (RV). I do not know what is the different of Regionale and Regionale Veloc? Do I need reservation for Regionale Veloc? If the Bin (Line) number is not printed on the ticket, it will not be enough time for me to check out the Bin number and than go to the platform. If I go to the counter in the station of Siena and ask for the Bin # for Empoli and Pisa, you think they will have these info? Thank you
Rick

Posted by
33525 posts

Rick, What I am going to say comes out sounding harsh. Its not meant to, I just can't think of how to say it better. Sorry. They will answer you if they understand you. They will not understand "bin". It is binario. Bin is an abbreviation. The English word, understood on the continent is platform. Please don't use line there for that if speaking english. If you say bin to them it would be like saying "pla" to somebody in English. Empoli is not a big station. to quote from a virtual tourist post of some time ago, "Don't be concerned about changing trains in Empoli...it's been a long time since I've seen that station, but I suspect it's about the size of your...living room. Seriously, in most smaller Italian train stations, you get off the train when it pulls into the station, you walk over to the arrivals/departures board (assuming you can't see it already) to see what track the train to Siena is (track = "binario"), then you walk over to that track (Empoli is a through station, not a terminus, so you'll possibly have to go downstairs and walk under a track to get to another one) and wait for the train to Siena. If you have a 5 minute layover, you'll spend 3 1/2 minutes wondering why you rushed. ;-) " Your binario normally is not on your ticket. Use the yellow departure posters and the TV screen departure boards. Also, ask somebody in uniform, "Pisa?" and they will point you in the right direction. Have a good trip!

Posted by
42 posts

Rick, Nigel always sounds very harash with his postings. I wonder why he has taken the time of answer over 1,000 questions and is so helpful? : )

Posted by
32325 posts

rick, As the others have mentioned, none of the trips should be too difficult once you get used to the "routine". As mentioned, you'll often be changing tracks via a Sottopassagio with only stairs for access (you will NOT be allowed to walk over the tracks in most stations!). If you're hauling heavy luggage, the trip through the tunnel will be a bit of an effort. Regarding the station in Empoli, it's a smaller station so shouldn't be too confusing. Have a look at This website (click on the photo of the platform to enlarge it). If you click a second time, it will enlarge further. As you can see, the Binario is clearly marked, and there's an electronic schedule board behind it. You can also have a look at La Spezia Centrale at This website. On the bottom photo, you can see the plastic windows with the schedule charts. One thing to mention though. The rail trip from La Spezia to Riomaggiore is only about eight minutes! The car you're riding in may stop in a tunnel. If eight minutes has elapsed and the train stops, GET OFF THE TRAIN. Be sure to watch others to see how they release the door (usually just a button, but could be a lever). From the station plaza, you'll go through a tunnel that runs parallel to the tracks to get to the town (about a 30-second walk). Which lodgings did you choose in Riomaggiore? Given your location, you may find it VERY HELPFUL to take a short drive to Edmonds on Mar. 12 and take the European Travel Skills class with Rick. While there you could also speak to the experts in the Rail Dept. at ETBD and get all the details of your trip sorted (and pick up Guidebooks or other travel gear, as they'll probably be discounted that day). Happy travels!

Posted by
6898 posts

Rick, as noted above, the stations are small. It's most likely that if you get off the train in Empoli and Pisa and just stand there, the next train or the one after will be yours. As Ken has noted, just look at the small electronic sign that announces the trains. For these stations, it is unlikely that you will change tracks. Also, Ken is sooo correct about the 10-car Regionale trains stopping at a CT station that has platform enough for six. Count 8 minutes for Riomaggiore and the train stops and it looks dark out there, you are in the tunnel. Try to get on any of the first six cars although some may be first class. You can stand if you need to. Or, get off in the tunnel and walk to the platform. It's a hoot.

Posted by
257 posts

Nigel, Ken, Larry and Charlotte, Thank you all for your reply to my post. Your advices and info are very helpful. I really appreciated.
regard

Posted by
257 posts

Hi Ken, I forgot to tell you that I will be staying with Mar-Mar Rooms (room booking service) in Riomaggiore for a few nights in May. It is a small apartment, the rate per night is 80E for two.
Thanks Again.

Posted by
4412 posts

Here are some sites for you to peruse...from About.com: http://goitaly.about.com/od/planningandinformation/ig/Italian-tickets-and-receipts/biglietto-train-ticket.htm (read all pages, up to the last page regarding bar receipts!) http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/trains/intro.htm (very helpful site; use the tabs at the right to select a topic) http://www.roninrome.com/%20transportation/buying-a-train-ticket (read the entire site, too! VERY helpful info - use the Search box if you don't see a topic spcefically listed - many aren't) http://www.roninrome.com/%20transportation/riding-the-trains-in-italy (be sure to watch the last video at the bottom of the page on how to validate tickets) And last but not least--- http://www.youtube.com/ricksteves#p/c/DA1849C66C2A6D62/6/moLGxdId9uU I strongly recommend that you buy and read "Europe Through the Back Door". It's full of the 'how to's' of European travel.

Posted by
257 posts

Eileen, Thank you for the info. It will keep me busy for a while. This is the first time that I travel in Europe by myself, not with the tour group. I am sure that all those info will help.
Thanks

Posted by
32325 posts

rick, It's interesting that you're staying with Mar-Mar Rooms in Riomaggiore, as I stayed in one of their properties on my last visit and would certainly recommend them. I'm assuming they mentioned that it's important to arrive prior to 17:00, as that's when their office closes.

Posted by
791 posts

You can usually go to the ticket window at most stations and ask them to print out a complete listing of your journey which will show the time and track numbers of your changes and connections. Also, while you're on the train, tell the train workers (the ones who check your ticket) where your next change is and they usually know which track you will need to go to when you get off.