Please sign in to post.

Train travel in France

We will be traveling to France in Sept. my plan is to buy train tickets directly from the French rail service, point to point tickets. When buying a ticket from Paris to Colmar, we want to stop for several hours in Strasbourg. Will that require two separate tickets or can we stop in Strasbourg for several hours on one ticket? Thanks.

Posted by
23573 posts

Probably need two tickets. I am not as familiar with French trains as others. IF the train requires a seat reservation then obviously you would need two reservations. If it is an open ticket that allows travel between two points during a set period of time, then it would be only one ticket. I think all the high speed trains in France require reservations.

Posted by
8700 posts

You will need two tickets. Direct trains from Paris to either Strasbourg or Colmar are TGVs. A ticket is for a specific departure date and time and includes a seat reservation. The good news is that if you book ASAP (up to 92 days allowed) on tgv-europe.com, you can get a Prem's fare as low as €25. The fare for a regional train from Strasbourg to Colmar is €12.00.

Posted by
78 posts

Thank you for this information, it was most helpful.