Please sign in to post.

Train travel in France?

As a total novice traveling in France, I would like some advice traveling from Provence (what city) to get a train to Paris? Then train travel from Paris to Zurich. We are picking up a tour in Zurich, so from that point, we will be with the tour company.

Posted by
6898 posts

The best and fastest train run that I have found is the run from Avignon TGV station (not the Gare d'Avignon station) to Paris Gare de Lyon station. 430 miles in 2hrs 39min. 180MPH. Whoosh!. No train changes with one stop in Lyon. If you can really lock in on your schedule now, I see fares as low as 34E for a Prem ticket. For travel from Paris to Zurich, this is a 4hr11min train journey. I see fares as low as 52E if you book now. These are Piccolo tickets. Could be lower if you could find a Prem ticket.

Posted by
4684 posts

You're also lucky that trains to both Provence and Zurich use Gare de Lyon station in Paris, so you won't have to trek between Paris railway stations.

Posted by
4684 posts

Actually there's no need to go all the way into Paris. There's a 0814 train from Marseille (0829 at Aix) to Strasbourg. Take that to Mulhouse (arrive 1256) and then get the 1306 train from Mulhouse to Zurich arriving at 1426. Book at tgv-europe.com, try searching for both Marseille-Zurich and Marseille-Mulhouse and Mulhouse-Zurich as separate legs to see if the second might be cheaper.

Posted by
8700 posts

Sig, If you book well in advance (up to three months allowed) at tgv-europe.com, you can get a Prem's fare as low as €25.00 for TGVs from Marseille, Aix-en-Provence, or Avignon to Paris. As I wrote on your other thread, if you do the same for Paris-Zurich, you can get a Piccolissimo fare of €25.00.