Please sign in to post.

Train travel in Europe

Purchased month-long Euro Rail for me and my sons for travel in May. Wondering best way to get from Manchester to Amsterdam and then later from Bern to Paris. Thanks in advance

Posted by
19118 posts

As I understand it, Eurail doesn't work in the UK (Manchester to London) or for the Eurostar (London to France). You do get a discount for London to France, but some regular fares are less than pass holder fares. After that, everywhere in Europe, including Bern to Paris would be covered.

Posted by
23343 posts

And you realize that there will be additional fees for most trains in the form of the seat reservations.

Posted by
4684 posts

Manchester to Amsterdam is a journey where I would really suggest air rather than train: you will need to change in London and Brussels (although the two London stations are in easy walking distance and you don't need to change stations in Brussels) and the journey will take pretty well a full day. I'd suggest seeing what fares you can get from Easyjet or even R***air.

Posted by
32929 posts

I take the train or drive to Amsterdam from Birmingham but I truly believe I am at, or beyond, the reasonable limit for the train. Fly. From Manchester its a long way to Euston station, then schlep over to St Pancras International, get there an hour early because your train may be a little late and if you don't check in at least 30 minutes prior to departure you don't travel, then 2 hours (ish) to Brussels, and then the Thalys or International train. You can't use your pass for any of that except Brussels - Amsterdam, and if you use the Thalys you need to pay additional for a seat reservation - mandatory. Fly - its quick and takes you right to Amsterdam. Just downstairs is the station and you are in Centraal Station in no time.

Posted by
19118 posts

Understand that RyanError doesn't fly to Amsterdam. They use Eindhoven, which is about as far from Amsterdam as it is from Düsseldorf and Brussels. Also, Ryan doesn't fly direct from Manchester to Eindhoven; you'll have to change planes somewhere, and that's a bad idea on Ryan because they assume no responsibility for your missing a connection, even from a RyanAir flight to another RyanAir flight.