Please sign in to post.

Train travel in Europe

I'll be in Germany, Switzerland, and France in April and May. I'll be travelling by train on two separate days in Germany, three in Switzerland, and two in France. I had planned to get a select three country pass, then learned that Frnce no longer participates. Shall I get a two country pass for germany and Switzerland then buy point to point tickets in France, or is there a better option?

Posted by
306 posts

I have a suggestion. I just tried www.bahn.de to see if it displays fares for trains on point to point routes including at least one point in Germany, and for a couple practice tries in April it does. I tried a Germany-Switz train and a Germany-Paris one. At least for a few trains, it gave a couple prices you could use for some comparisons. At least with enough info that you might just try some routes to see if the combinations of point to point tickets you might use are anywhere near the cost of the passes you're considering. If it's a close call, I can't help you! :) But if one alternative or the other is way more expensive, that might help you decide. The one thing to remember about passes is that they do give you flexibility and allow for spontaneity, whereas point to point tickets, whenever you buy them, ahead of time or on the spot, generally lock you into THAT train. Have a great trip!

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks for all of the great information. I've done some preliminary pricing and I'm going to do point to point in either Germany or France. Great advice!

Posted by
8700 posts

What are your precise routes? If you can commit to specific departure dates and times and book well in advance (up to three months allowed), you can get discount fares for many routes.