Please sign in to post.

Train Travel in England

I think I must be getting close to the time I can schedule my train travel for a May 9 departure. Thanks for all the good advice I've received from many of you already. One last question. My route is London to Newcastle Upon Tyne, a one day train trip to Alnmouth and back to Newcastle, going from Newcastle to Durham; from Durham to Nottingham, from Nottingham back to London. So do I book each of these legs separately? It would be so much easier to just get a rental car, but we aren't. We are changing over to trains now and are very ignorant and scared about what we're doing. Thanks.

Posted by
2501 posts

London to Newcastle buy Advance tickets when available.

Newcastle to Alnmouth - this is a commuter journey, take any train, buy on the day.

Newcastle to Durham - this is a commuter journey, take any train, buy on the day.

Durham to Nottingham buy Advance tickets when available.

Nottingham to London buy Advance tickets when available.

Can all be booked on the one website e.g. https://www.lner.co.uk/

Posted by
11294 posts

Yes, each of these is a separate ticket. Follow the advice in the post above about which ones you should buy as an Advance and which ones you can buy on the day.

No need to be scared. Remember that you can always ask locals for advice. A train may be exotic or scary for you, but for the locals, it's as routine as a drive to the mall. There are usually roving train personnel at the stations to ask as well.

For instance, I had an Advance ticket for a morning train from York to Edinburgh, but a bunch of trains, including mine, were delayed that morning (I forget why). I asked, and they said that I could take any other train up to 2 PM (in other words, the Advance ticket restrictions were lifted for that period). If I hadn't asked, I wouldn't have known. So, if you have any questions or problems, don't wonder - ask!

Posted by
2447 posts

After you've been riding the trains a bit, I'll bet you'll fall in love with the experience. Truly no need to be scared (viva trains)!

Posted by
8889 posts

A train may be exotic or scary for you, but for the locals, it's as routine as a drive to the mall.

Yes, you take a train to get to many "malls" (or "shopping centre" as the call them in the UK). They have their own stations.

Posted by
5326 posts

Excluding the side trip to Alnmouth from Newcastle, it is actually possible to do this whole journey on one return ticket from London to Newcastle.

The 'outward' portion which you intend to use all in one go is valid for one day, and the return for which you can stop as many times as you like is valid for a month. It is also valid via Nottingham (change at Grantham).

The advantage is you are not tied to specific trains, although if you buy the super off-peak variety the journey time would have to be within the accepted times.

The cost of doing it this way would be £141.70, which may or may not be cheaper than the set of Advanced singles others have suggested above.

Posted by
14503 posts

Absolutely no need to be "apprehensive" (Better description than "scared") about riding trains, using the system, etc. I took my first train in Europe going from Gatwick to London Victoria on the arrival day after flying from OAK. My first train ride was at 9 on Southern Pacific, SF to Santa Barbara, hardly remember any of that 11 years later doing the Gatwick ride, which was literally my 2nd ride. Any questions, just ask the very helpful and pleasant train staff in the stations.

Posted by
1446 posts

WE JUST PURCHASED THE TICKETS!! Thank you for all the information. It worked.