Please sign in to post.

Train Travel in Austria

I am trying to get to Hallstatt by train or bus or ferry (not car) from either Vienna or Steyr. Wondering about the easiest way. Thanks

Posted by
5 posts

Ken, thanks for your help, that is great. Not sure where we are staying yet? We usually try and find a b&b or a 2 star hotel (breakfast included) - any suggestions? We want to stay right in Hallstatt, though. Thanks

Posted by
19092 posts

Use the Bahn website for scheduled trains. The main line from Vienna to Salzburg passes through Attnang-Puchheim. You can get there in about 2 hours using an Austrian Rail EuroCity (ÖEC). Change to a regional train in Attnang-Puchheim, and go south another 2 hours through Bad Ischl. The train stops across the lake at a more or less deserted station in the middle of nowhere. A boat meets the train and takes passenger across to Hallstatt. I stayed in Lahn, which is about a 1 km walk along the Seestrasse from Hallstatt. I didn't want to carry my bag from Hallstatt (although I think there is another boat to Lahn) so I took the bus from Bad Ischl to the bus stop in Lahn (the closest you can get by bus to downtown Hallstatt).

Posted by
32212 posts

Wendy, As Lee mentioned, you'll have to change trains in Attnang-Pucheim to reach Hallstatt. I'd suggest buying the tickets in Vienna for your outgoing journey from Hallstatt, since the small station in Hallstatt is unmanned. There's probably a location in town for purchasing tickets (perhaps the T.I. office?), but I haven't checked. When you arrive at Hallstatt, you'll walk down a small pathway to a wooden covered dock. You'll see the town across the lake (it's a fantastic view!). Stefanie runs across the lake frequently, so you shouldn't have long to wait for the boat. I believe the fare is currently €2.20, but I didn't check. When you arrive at the dock in Hallstatt, you'll likely turn left on the main street to reach your Hotel. Which Hotel are you staying at? Happy travels!

Posted by
32212 posts

Wendy, You might consider either Gasthof Simony or Hotel Gruner Baüm as they're right in the main part of town and an easy walk from the boat dock. However Gruner Baüm is probably NOT in the two-star category. There are other llstings in the Guidebook (which I've unfortunately "misplaced" so I can't check). As I recall, there are a few small Hotels uphill from the other two, across the main town plaza. Cheers!

Posted by
19092 posts

Hallstatt's website, www.hallstatt.net has a list of accommodations. There aren't very many; Hallstatt is really small. There are a few hotels and Gästehäuser right in town. After those the hill gets very steep. There are also some accommodations 1 km south of Hallstatt, in Lahn (where the bypass tunnel ends, where the parking lots are, and where the funicular goes up to the salt mine). There is bus service (€1,30, 5 min) from the station in Obertraun to Lahn.

Posted by
1064 posts

Use the Austrian Rail site ÖBB at http://www.oebb.at/en/ to check transportation options, routes and costs and to purchase tickets. Use the "advanced" search option if you are looking for the best price. But use the standard window, which includes high-speed trains, if you want to avoid spending most of the day in transit.

Posted by
19092 posts

Last year I went from Salzburg to Lahn (Hallstatt) via Mondsee. That meant 5 bus connections that I could only have found on the Austrian Rail website. If you are going only by train, the Bahn website has everything, but for buses you'll need the Austrian Rail website.